6 Weeks. What? Can’t be. I was totally just telling the lady at hospital registration that I was “for sure not going into labor and she would see me walk out in 2 seconds as soon as they confirmed it was a false alarm”. Yep, Blakely is 6 weeks! I wanted to give a little update on how she’s doing, how I’m doing, and some blog news.
Let’s start with the news. When I started Pizzazzerie.com I was newly dating my now-husband and focused the site solely on party ideas. That hasn’t changed in 4 years. I rarely write anything personal though I did share my wedding and have since shared a few baby updates. I’ve debated writing personal posts for quite some time. I wondered “will my readers care about baby news”? Should I stick to strictly party and party food posts or sprinkle a little more of “me and my life” in there? Since I like sprinkles (ha), I’ve decided to do just that. I’ll still be posting my main purpose for the site – party and party foods – but with a little of me thrown in here and there. I hope you’ll continue following along with me in this crazy journey of life!
The last 6 weeks of my life has been a total tornado whirlwind. It’s nuts! Here are a few updates and things I’ve discovered on this motherhood journey.
1. Growing. Blakely is getting some weight on her! She was a wee little one and lost quite a bit of weight after birth so we’re loving that she’s up to 8 1/2 pounds (ironically what I weighed when I was born). I love the little rolls that are forming. So cute.
2. Sleep. Are we sleeping through the night? Heck no. Ok, so it’s not so bad but she doesn’t like sleeping on her back at all so we are struggling with insisting that she does go down on her back. Generally, we’re up every 3 hours for about an hour and a half. Do the math :)
3. Breastfeeding. Not something I thought I’d talk about on this site – ever- but it’s now a major part of my life. It’s pretty much all-consuming but I’m proud to say we’re 6 weeks in and still going strong! I want to throw confetti. Seriously.
4. Advice. If you’re about to have your first baby, one thing you’ve probably already learned is that everyone and their dog wants to give you advice. I generally love it (I mean, what the heck am I doing? I need you other Moms out there to tell me how things worked for you!) but do not feel guilty if the “savor these moments because they’re only this small for a minute” or “soak it in because it goes by so fast” pieces of advice give you a sudden “oh gosh I need to stop and smell the roses NOW” feeling. They sent me through a stress-induced meltdown during the first couple of weeks. With trying to figure out how to even function with a c-section recovery, feedings that required lots of lactation consultant assistance, and everything else that hits you when you have a baby – I was actually becoming stressed that I wasn’t having peaceful hours to stare at my baby. I was totally just going through the motions to get weight on her, jaundice under control, and recovery underway. And you know what? That was fine with me. I’ve certainly found those times to savor now but it took a couple of weeks of nonstop chaos to get a routine down that included bonding moments.
5. Henry. Lots of people have asked how Henry is doing with his new baby sister. He’s interested but not “too interested” which is how I like to keep it. He does lots of drive-bys of her swing and bouncer for quick check-ups if she’s crying. It’s cute.
6. 20-Minutes. That’s the usual amount of time I have before she wakes up from any attempt at a nap she is taking. So if it can be done in 20 minutes, I’m all over it. If it takes longer than that, then it isn’t getting done. No really.
7. Arms. I didn’t even have a big baby but hauling that car seat with her in it has about pulled my arm off. We’re now mastering the art of baby-wearing but sometimes I do just have to carry the car seat. I look forward to the most toned right arm in the world by the end of summer.
8. Joy. I feel more joy and happiness than I ever have! I still can’t believe this little baby is here. She’s a combination of me and my husband – sounds obvious but when you really think about it, it’s just the sweetest display of love. We are so thrilled with all her sweet smiles, coos, and “firsts”. I look forward to sharing more of her life here soon!
For more of “us” on a daily basis, follow me on instagram: @Pizzazzerie!