As a child, I remember the aroma of candied pecans in my grandparents house in South Carolina as we exchanged gifts with cousins. This is one of my favorite memories from childhood! Not only do candied nuts make the house smell amazing but they taste delicious. You can’t eat just one! As for neighbor or friend gifts, these package beautifully to make the perfect gift over the holiday season. This year, I put a little twist on this classic recipe…candied gingerbread pecans!
I wanted a candied pecan that had a true “gingerbread” flavor so I’m thrilled with how this recipe came together. I love the smell (and taste) of gingerbread during the Christmas season! The beauty of this simple recipe is that you can tweak it to fit your favorite flavors (more or less cinnamon, ginger, etc.). It’s a great one to print and save for years to come. I even let my little one help by sprinkling on the spices. She felt very special!
Make a double batch and package them up for neighbors and friends! Or fill a big holiday tin with a full batch to take home to your family for the holidays. You’ll quickly find that everyone keeps going back for just “one more handful”. They’re addictively delish!
Print or save the recipe for these candied gingerbread pecans for the next time you want a southern holiday treat that is always a crowd-pleasing favorite! Pick up little jars or holiday tins (or even cellophane bags with festive bows) to package these candied gingerbread pecans up for friends. Or enjoy a bowl of them while decorating a gingerbread house, your house will truly smell of gingerbread heaven! I wish I could bottle up this smell and turn it into a candle! Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy snacking on these delish yummies!
- 1 pound unsalted pecans
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites, water, and vanilla extract until combined (slightly frothy). Add in pecans and toss to coat in egg white mixture.
- Add in spices and sugars and stir to coat the pecans evenly.
- Spread pecans out on parchment paper and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.