(1) Choose your colors! Easter is full of beautiful pastels from blues and greens to yellows and pinks. Pick a couple to be your focus, however. A rainbow table is one thing, but for Easter, choose colors that compliment each other. We chose sunshine yellow and peaches as our color inspiration!
(2) Remember “height” for your centerpiece! Centerpieces are great ways to take your tablescape to the next level. A tall centerpiece adds a dramatic look. Here, you’ll see we used a tall bunny statue but a tall vase of flowers would work equally well!
(3) The individual touch! Whether each guest has their own easter cookie basket, pressed sugar basket, or a ceramic basket (see our picture above), guests love to have a take home! You could even fill cellophane bags with easter candies, tie with a bow in your color scheme, and place on each plate. The individual touch makes your guests feel special!
(4) Pattern! Find a way to incorporate a pattern into your table. We found a great peach checked tablecloth. Pattern adds depth to your table rather than a table full of solids. From striped napkins, polka dotted plates, or damask scrapbook paper place mats, there are plenty of ways to add a pattern!
(5) Keep it simple! Don’t over-clutter your table with too many serving dishes and plates. Bring those out when ready to serve the food. Keep your table simple for guests as they arrive.
(6) Think cheap chic! Spending a lot of money is not a requirement for a great tablescape. Utilize what you already own and add pizzazz by tying a ribbon in your color scheme around a tall vase. Spray paint old terra cotta pots from your yard to serve as individual favors. Think creative!
(7) Pretty Placecards: easy and special! Placecards are as simple as choosing a script font on your computer and printing! Even if your Easter brunch is just your immediate family, placecards show that this is a special event! Tip: Buy inexpensive scrapbook papers to use for your place cards and tie into your color scheme!
(8) Add glamour with your glasses! Using stemmed glasses adds height and glamour, and they don’t have to be expensive. Always be on the lookout for fun glasses (TJMaxx, DollarTree, and Target always have fun glasses). Even if you are serving diet coke and water, serve it in a stemmed glass!
(9) Try a new recipe! Your family has their favorite Easter traditions, but jazz it up this year by throwing a new recipe into the mix. These sweet potato balls are a unique recipe and always a hit!
Sweet Potato Balls
3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
8 large marshmallows
1 cup corn flakes, crushed
Combine the first six ingredients until well blended. Cover each marshmallow with potato mixture and roll in the corn flakes. Place the potato balls in a buttered baking dish and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. The marshmallow will ooze when the sweet potato balls are ready.
Yields: 8 servings
(10) Do not forget to sit back and enjoy this special time with friends and family!
image: tablescape by Phronsie’s Tables