Host a Mexican Fiesta!
Take time out of your schedule to enjoy friends and family. Turn dinner into a fun Mexican fiesta! We simple layered orange burlap over a basic red tablecloth for our table covering. Then we found fun sombrero shaped melamine plates and cactus shaped margarita glasses! Along with cupcakes topped with Mexican Flag picks, we served up delicious Mexican Pie! Enjoy the recipe below!
Delicious cookies shaped like peppers were made by Bee’s Knees Creative! They were a simple yet super cute dessert to pair with the cupcakes! The cupcakes were set inside a large sombrero fitted on a tall glass candlestick. It’s a super easy centerpiece idea!
Make a Fiesta Basket:
How quick and easy it is to turn an ordinary plastic plant liner into an extraordinary centerpiece! All you need is a plastic plant liner, hay, and Elmer’s glue. Hay baskets make lively centerpieces and unusual serving containers.
Here’s What You Need:
Plastic plant liner, deep dish style
Hay (An inexpensive way to buy a small amount of hay is to purchase a hay wreath and take it apart.)
Elmer’s glue and scissors
Wired ribbon for the handle, 3-inches wide and 20 to 24-inches long
Silk sunflowers or daisies and ribbon for bow
Here’s What To Do:
1. Cut the hay, with scissors, into shorter pieces.
2. Cover the plastic plant liner generously with Elmer’s glue. Spread a trash bag over your work area before beginning this messy project.
3. Sprinkle the hay all over the glue-saturated liner and let dry overnight.
4. Spread more glue on the hay covered liner and add more hay. Let it dry again overnight to enable the hay to build up on the container.
5. Cut the ribbon for the handle and hot glue it to the basket. Glue the sunflowers along the handle and add the bow as the final touch.
MEXICAN PIE RECIPE
1 pound ground beef
¼ pound ground pork
1 garlic minced
1 onion chopped
1 16-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
1 10-ounce can of diced tomatoes & green chilies, drained
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 eggs beaten
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Sauté the beef, pork, garlic and onion until tender in a large sauce pan. Stir in the corn, tomatoes, salt, and chili powder. Bring to a boil and then pour into a large casserole dish. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, cornmeal, and milk. Mix well and spoon over the meat mixture. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Ole!
Yields: 8 servings