I interrupt the regular scheduled programming of holiday entertaining ideas to bring you a year-round treat that I’ve been dreaming about making for months! One of my favorite New York City treats are black and white cookies. You know the half white and half black cookies? My husband calls them the Seinfeld cookies. I never watched Seinfeld (I know I know). I’m actually headed to NYC later this week for a blog meeting and my best friend’s wedding (so excited I can’t even stand it). I might have to find a NYC-style black and white cookie! I love that the cookies are really soft and cake-like. I decided to recreate these “cupcake-style” so behold, black and white cupcakes! They’d be fabulous for a birthday celebration or for no reason at all because sometimes you need a cupcake, friends. You earned it.
These really taste exactly like the cookie, just a bit more cake on the bottom. The glaze is my favorite though because it’s surprisingly easy to make and looks so smooth when it dries. Pretty sure these black and white cupcakes would be perfect with little candles placed in each cupcake for a birthday! Speaking of, I turn 30 in a few weeks. AAH! I can’t believe I’ll be saying goodbye to my 20s! Might have to drown my sorrows in these tasty cupcakes…
These delicious cupcakes are a fun twist on the NYC-style black and white cookies!
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- In an electric mixer fit with paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar until creamy and light. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternating with milk, add flour mixture to creamed butter/sugar mixture. Do not over-mix, just until incorporated.
- Add in extract and stir well.
- Divide evenly into 12 cupcake liners and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In a medium-size saucepan, stir together water and corn syrup over medium heat.
- Continue stirring until boiling (medium-high heat). Remove from heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar with whisk, 1 cup at a time, until smooth and creamy without lumps.
- Pour half of glaze into microwave-safe bowl.
- Add chocolate to remaining half and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Use an offset spatula to drizzle chocolate across center of cupcakes in a line. Fill in one side with chocolate glaze. Fill in other side with white glaze.
- If glazes thicken, warm slightly in microwave or on stove-top.
I hope you’ll try these delicious black and white cupcakes! Of course, if you want an easier route then grab your favorite yellow cupcake mix – we won’t tell! You could also try the black and white glaze on chocolate cupcakes or even add sprinkles for a colorful twist. I think they’re quite fun and seriously delicious!