For everyone already off the boat for their New Year’s resolutions, I present to you…peanut butter toffee cupcakes (hooray!!). These delicious cupcakes combine two of my absolute favorite flavors: peanut butter and toffee. My family is obsessed with toffee so I knew I wanted to incorporate it into a peanut butter cupcake topped with peanut butter frosting. Why? Because why not, that’s why ;) This cupcake isn’t overly sweet which pairs well with the swirl of sweet frosting and toffee garnish.
You know the gooey chewy center of peanut butter cookies? That’s what this cupcake tastes like. It’s denser rather than a super fluffy cake, and I love that it is packed with that “peanut butter cookie” flavor! It’s a cake version of a peanut butter cookie. I like a little cake with my frosting (hey, I wrote a book called Frosting, what can I say?) so this delicious peanut butter buttercream pairs so well with this cake. I love to use a fluted tip and give it a big ol’ swirl on top!
Of course nothing is ever finished without some garnish. Hot fudge topping (straight from the store, y’all) is my favorite chocolate topping because it’s rich in flavor and thick enough that it doesn’t drizzle all the way over the cupcake liners and become a big mess. Top with a toffee bar piece for some toffee crunch, and ba-boom! Delish!
Q: Can I add extra toffee pieces to the frosting?
A: Absolutely! Add them into the cupcake batter too! Add as much toffee flavor as you love! No rules, ya’ll.
National Peanut Butter Day happens to be January 24th (don’t ask me how I know these things) so I happen to think these peanut butter toffee cupcakes would be the perfect way to celebrate, don’t ya think?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 Heath bars, broken into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup hot fudge topping (I used Smuckers brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt). Set aside.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Alternating with flour mixture, add buttermilk and beat until combined (do not overmix).
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (22 minutes for me).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Adjust speed to low and add powdered sugar to butter, one cup at a time, until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract, and milk or heavy cream, and peanut butter.
- Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Add additional powdered sugar or milk/cream until desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with hot fudge topping and toffee bar piece.