Summer is here so get outside and enjoy watermelon season! Recycle old baskets into unique decorations or centerpieces for your table. This easy-to-make basket is perfect for a fun centerpiece! Already have a centerpiece? Fill this basket with favors and have it by the door as your guests depart!
Fabric Basket Centerpiece
Here’s What You Need:
* 1 yard of fabric
* Straw basket (7 to 9 inches in diameter is a nice size)
* Package of fiberfill
* Ribbon, silk flowers, etc.
* Hot glue, needle & thread (use heavy-duty button & carpet thread)
Here’s What To Do:
1. Cut a circle of fabric two times the diameter of the basket. For example, if the diameter of the basket is eight inches, then cut a sixteen-inch circle.
2. Stitch the edge of fabric with a needle and thread and pull the thread to gather the fabric. Hot glue the gathered fabric to the edge of the basket half way around, then stuff fiberfill to form the stuffed basket shape. Continue gluing and stuffing until you completely surround the basket.
3. Hot glue a piece of ribbon coordinated with the fabric by wrapping it around the handle or leave the handle plain. I did the black/white check to coordinate with the table cloth. Use about 1 to 1 1/2 yards of ribbon for a bow to attach to the handle. Fill with your favorite cookies, fruit, or chips, etc. Enjoy!
4 cups small watermelon chunks, seeds removed
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 lemons, juice
Optional: miniature chocolate chips as seeds to garnish
Place the watermelon in a container and sprinkle with the sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Combine this mixture and place in a plastic freezer bag and freeze overnight. Using a food processor or blender, puree the frozen watermelon chunks until fluffy, 1 to 2 cups at a time. Serve in parfait glasses and garnish with fresh mint. Sprinkle miniature chocolate chips on top as seeds. Yields: 4 servings