I recently wrote a post on how I photograph pics for this blog – and I needed something to make so I could take pictures of my set. So, these babies were born. Girl Scout Cookies are totally fabulous aren’t they? Too bad they’re not around all year long (or maybe that’s a good thing). Anyway, my husband hates coconut (I know.. I know..) so there was no chance he was picking Samoas when he picked up Girl Scout Cookies. I knew I’d have to get creative if I wanted that absolutely delicious combo of caramel, coconut, and chocolate. I could make my own Samoa cookies but my friend Naomi did that really well.
I recently picked up this super cute mini donut pan and really wanted to use it! You see where this is going…
After you make the batter (full recipe below), you pour it into a frosting piping bag (or a Ziplock) and snip the corner (you can spoon it in but it’s just messier). Fill it halfway (they puff up). Easy peasy.
Here they are dunked in caramel and topped with toasted coconut. Not done yet though! They’re ready for their chocolate drizzle bath. I used a 60% cacao chocolate but you could use anything you want: milk, semi-sweet, etc.
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 14 ounces (1 package) wrapped caramels
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 2 cups chocolate, melted
- Sift together cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in vanilla, egg, buttermilk, and melted butter until just mixed (do not overmix).
- Bake at 425 degrees for 4-5 minutes (watch carefully to not overbake).
- Let sit to cool before popping out.
- Unwrap caramels and place in microwave-safe bowl with milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Microwave at 25-second intervals, stirring in between until fully melted.
- Carefully dip doughnuts into caramel and set on parchment paper. Top quickly with toasted coconut.
- Drizzle chocolate over doughnuts.
- Let cool and serve!