Decadent Jack Daniels Cake
So my husband’s birthday is next month and I’ve been thinking all about the perfect “guy cake”! Two of Chris’ favorite things are chocolate and whiskey so naturally I had to combine both of these into the ultimate birthday cake! He grew up just miles from the Jack Daniels Distillery (woohoo Tennessee) so Jack Daniels was the natural choice of whiskey. I love the mini bottles because they also make great favors by the way! Tie them on to a coke bottle for “Jack & Coke”. I digress from the cake… anyway…this recipe is SUPER easy. When you have a 3 month old baby and work full-time WITH baby in tow, easy is key. Delicious is also key and this cake is SO GOOD!
My favorite part of this cake is the fudge icing. It takes just a few minutes to make and it’s drippy amazingness. Nope, no fussy frosting here. Just pour and go! You can make these in cupcake form and use this fudge icing too. You can also leave out the Jack Daniels if you want to. For the rest of us, cheers! Jack Daniels Fudge Icing for the win!
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Jack Daniels whiskey
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine cake mix, pudding, sour cream, oil, water, and eggs in electric mixer with paddle attachment. Beat together on medium for 5 minutes until fluffy and thoroughly combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into cake pans. Depending on size, bake for 25 minutes (for 6 inch cake) or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (you may have some chocolate on toothpick from the chips). Increase baking time for larger cake.
- NOTE: If you want a stronger Jack Daniels flavor, you can add 1/4 cup to the cake batter as well as the fudge icing. Or add more to the fudge icing (add additional chocolate chips too so the icing doesn't thin out too much).
- Let cake cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar, and evaporated milk.
- Stir together until rolling boil and time for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add in chocolate chips and Jack Daniels.
- Immediately pour over cake (will set up quickly).
If you try this jack daniels cake, let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy it! If you’re looking for coordinating party table ideas, check out this bourbon & chocolate charcuterie board!