I’ve been on a bit of a kitchen kick lately, and I’m loving it. With the days get dark early, it leaves more time to cozy up and create lots of new recipe ideas. Recipe development is one of my favorite things to do! My husband and daughter have been helping quite a bit and since they love cheese, this garlic cheese crescent swirl is a new favorite in the house. Pair it with a entree or make it as an appetizer for a party!
The unique twist on this recipe is layering strips of crescent roll dough into a swirl shape until you have yourself a fancy little design. I love the look of this garlic cheese crescent swirl and pulling apart all the layers makes it pretty delicious to eat too. I baked mine in a pie plate but you could also use any 8″ or 9″ round baking dish. Or get fancy and create “miniature” swirls.
The possibilities are endless with this recipe. While layering the crescent roll strips, I added in mozzarella and topped with shredded parmesan, but you can choose your own favorite cheese flavor or combine several. Here are a few more ideas for crescent swirls, and stay tuned because I’m going to show you a few of these variations coming soon!
Crescent Swirl Variations
- Add on chopped bacon, tuck down in shredded chicken or pepperoni.
- Pour on marinara sauce (or serve on the side for dipping like I did), buffalo sauce, or other favorite sauce.
- Create a sweet version by topping with your favorite fruit spread or chocolate toppings.
- Go sweet & savory! Add in brie and strawberry jam.
- Fancy it up with blue cheese crumbles or feta and fig jam.
You get the idea! I hope this easy idea for creating a crescent swirl will trigger lot of delicious variations. Or you can create this garlic cheese crescent swirl like I’ve done because it’s a winner at our house. Below you can see what it looks like pre-baked!
You can certainly add more or less garlic or cheese based on your preferences, but I’ve included my measurements in the recipe below. For the parsley, I chop mine with this fancy little herb grinder! It’s one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. I used this pasty wheel for quickly cutting the strips of crescent dough. You could also use a pizza cutter or kitchen shears.
Stay tuned, like I mentioned above, there are tons of ways to create variations with this crescent swirl idea! Right now, I’m thinking cinnamon and brown sugar are my next test. Follow along (especially on Instagram stories where I share lots of behind-the-scenes). I’m @pizzazzerie on IG Stories too. Plus, you’ll get to say daily updates on my dog that might as well be a doppelgänger for Alf. True story.
- 1 can refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces mozzarella, cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out crescent roll dough. Brush on butter (reserving a tablespoon for topping). Spread on minced garlic, evenly.
- Cut crescent roll dough into 1 1/2" strips. Roll one strip tightly and lay in the center of baking pan, cut side up.
- Continue to add strips around in a swirl pattern from the inside out, tucking in mozzarella pieces as you swirl.
- Brush on remaining butter and sprinkle with salt, chopped parsley, and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Loosely cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Prep in advance! Just refrigerate until ready to bake.
Check out more of my favorite appetizer ideas here!
Love what you see? Pick up my latest book Pizzazzerie: Entertain in Style recently featured in Southern Living magazine’s 2017 December Issue as a favorite gift!