This post is a collaboration with Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. on behalf of the Beef Checkoff. I received compensation, but all opinions are my own.
There’s nothing better than beef on the grill this time of year! So it’s time to fire up the grill and move dinner outside! Turn up the music, try a new recipe (like this Grilled Skirt Steak with Street Corn Salsa) and set a gorgeous backyard tablescape! I have all the tips you’ll need to recreate the look for your own family!
My husband loves to grill, and I love to create new recipes and set a pretty table. We’re a match made in heaven when it comes to backyard grilling! I love entertaining with beef because it’s always a show-stopper and everyone loves it!
I’ve even taught my daughter how to help me set the table “in style” for family and friends. She won’t be an only child much longer, however, as I’m in my third trimester with a new little one! Speaking of this pregnancy, my biggest craving has been corn, so I knew I had to top our grilled skirt steak with a street corn salsa. It is absolutely delicious served on any type of grilled steak so be sure to save this recipe!
Skirt Steak doesn’t need a lot of fuss as far as marinating goes, but a simple seasoning will help enhance the flavor and the street corn salsa makes the perfect accompaniment.
Below you’ll find the recipe for the Grilled Skirt Steak with Street Corn Salsa, but I have a few extra steak grilling tips first!
Tips for Grilling Beef
- Make sure your grill is clean (to prevent flare-ups) and the rack is well-oiled (to prevent sticking). If you’re using charcoal, follow the directions for how much you’ll need and how to build the charcoal pile. For gas grills, refer to your owner’s manual and set the grill to medium-high.
- When it comes to cooking beef, there is no need to rush the process by cooking on high heat. Cooking at a medium heat allows your beef to achieve caramelization while still developing rich flavors and it helps to avoid charring.
- For steaks, insert an instant-read thermometer horizontally from the side so it penetrates the thickest part of the center of the steak not touching the bone or fat. After cooking, let steaks rest before serving.
- Following USDA guidelines for proper cooking of beef. Here is a great fact sheet to reference!
- If you’re slicing the steak before serving, be sure to cut across the grain.
Grilled Skirt Steak with Street Corn Salsa
Grilled Strip Steak
- 4 beef Skirt Steaks (boneless) (1 inch thick, about 10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon course ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
Street Corn Salsa
- 2 cups corn cooked (grilled, boiled, etc)
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese grated
Grilled Skirt Steak
- Combine seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Press evenly onto Skirt Steaks.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Place steaks on the grill and cook until optimal doneness. For medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, cook about 4 to 6 minutes, flip once and continue cooking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Keep in mind the internal temperature will continue to rise for a few minutes after coming off the grill.
- Be sure to rest the meat before serving. It's worth the wait! Just five minutes will prevent the tasty juices from draining onto your plate.
Street Corn Salsa
- Toss all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Slice skirt steak and top with street corn salsa. Garnish with fresh lime wheels.
Head to Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. for even more beef recipes and tips!
Let’s talk about the next element to the perfect backyard grilling, the tablescape! Even if you’re just serving this backyard dinner to your immediate family due to social distancing, it is still fun to set a beautiful tablescape!
I like to choose at least two colors as a base for any of my tablescapes. This helps keep the setting cohesive. Our simple backyard farm table was the perfect choice for this late summer dinner party with my family.
Green is one of my “go to” table colors because it works so beautifully with natural outdoor decor. I love to pick lots of greenery from my own garden to tuck down into my florals. Nandina and Soloman’s Seal are two plants I love to incorporate quite often.
Lavender is another favorite of mine, and I think it is perfect for the mid-season changeover from summer to fall! Fresh lavender smells amazing, and I added mini bud vases of extra mini arrangements throughout the table.
Carry out your flavors through your table garnishes. For example, fresh lime juice is added to the street corn salsa so throw an extra lime wedge in everyone’s water. It carries out your theme and jazzes up otherwise boring water.
Don’t be afraid to use simple white dishes, platters and bowls. During this time of social distancing, you can also use separate dishes and platters to serve up individual portions of your favorite dishes. White dishes allow the food to pop with any color scheme. I love to collect colorful, patterned napkins where you can really add some pizzazz to your table!
I hope you’re inspired to entertain with beef this summer, especially this Grilled Skirt Steak and delicious Street Corn Salsa! It’s become my family’s new favorite entree, especially when enjoying it with family and friends!
For more Entertaining With Beef ideas, check out these recipes and tips below: