This classic black and blue salad tastes just as delicious as your restaurant fave!
Now that we’re getting back into the school year, I wanted to share one of my very favorite easy dinner salads for a quick and easy weeknight meal (it also makes a fabulous party salad, might I add), this Black and Blue Steak Salad!
My husband and I really love salads, but we want a hearty steak salad, especially for dinner. You know what I mean? You don’t want to end up hungry an hour later. This black and blue steak salad is so satisfying, and you can tailor it to your favorite flavors – yum!
What is a Black and Blue Salad?
Great question! It’s a salad primarily consisting of grilled steak strips along with blue cheese among other toppings. That’s why it’s called a “black ‘n blue” salad. Clever, huh?
Tips for Making Black and Blue Steak Salads
- The beef reigns supreme on a steak salad so opt for a high-quality cut of meat like a Top Sirloin. You could also use flank steak. Beef is truly the star for this salad, which I love, because it’s a nutrient-rich and high-quality protein raised with care and dedication by farmers and ranchers.
- Beef’s tender, juicy texture is optimum when cooked to medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness. Use an instant-read thermometer horizontally into the side of steaks to determine doneness when grilling.
- In addition to blue cheese, add a variety of other toppings from thinly sliced red onion, burst tomatoes, and avocado slices. Tailor your toppings to your favorite flavors. Do you have a favorite restaurant black and blue salad (some faves are Newks, O’Charleys and Panera)? Check out their toppings for ideas!
- Serve with a blue cheese dressing for an extra boost of blue cheese flavor or opt for a mild ranch or balsamic dressing.
This grilled steak salad is not only perfect for a quick weeknight meal, it’s also fabulous for a dinner party entree! I love to set up a “Make Your Own Salad Bar” for guests. Salads are pretty similar to tacos since everyone has their favorite toppings.
Use white bowls and platters to display all the veggies, cheeses, and dressings. Serve up the steak to your guests and let them build the rest. Happy Guests. Happy Hostess!
For more entertaining ideas with beef, check out my 7 Tips for Throwing the Perfect Barbecue (with a mouth-watering brisket)!
I know you will love this recipe for black and blue salad! Be sure to leave me a comment below, I can’t wait to hear how much you enjoyed it!
For more fabulous salad ideas with beef (among other recipe ideas), be sure to check out the Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. website! It’s loaded with dynamite recipes, y’all! I’m already eyeing the Beef & Asparagus Pasta Toss for another weeknight meal to try! YUM!
Black and Blue Steak Salad
- 1 beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless - cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups spring mix greens
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado - thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion - thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dressing of choice
- Place beef in plastic bag with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Turn steak to coat evenly. Marinate for at least 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Remove beef from marinade. Place beef on grill, on medium heat. Grill, covered, for 7 to 11 minutes. for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove from grill and slice steaks across the grain.
- Add cherry tomatoes to grill for 2-3 minutes or until burst.
- Fill platter or large salad bowl with mixed greens. Top with burst tomatoes, avocado slices, sliced red onion, and blue cheese crumbles. Top with steak and serve with dressing of your choice.
I hope you love this grilled black and blue salad as much as I do! Be sure to leave a comment and rating, I hope you love it too!