Book Love // Smart Cookie by Christi Farr Johnstone
Get excited because over the next few weeks, I’m going to be gushing all about some of my crazy talented friends who have written new books! Starting with the sugar queen Christi of Love From the Oven (if you aren’t a follower, well your sweet tooth highly suggests you become one STAT). She just published her first book Smart Cookie and it is so insanely cute that I don’t even know where to start. We’ll just dive right in to the details and take a look at the cute sample recipe below (perfect for Halloween).
“Using common store-bought ingredients like cookies, candy, graham crackers, icing, sprinkles, nuts, and more, this clever cookie book shows you how to create fifty visually appealing treats in less time than it takes to make a batch of cupcakes. Creations like ice cream cones, donuts, babies’ rattles, birthday hats, gumball machines, and more are included in this simply sweet guide to cookies. Smart Cookie is perfect for anyone from the inexperienced baker, to the busy mom, to the college student with limited baking resources. Whimsical creations are paired with information on ingredients, techniques and equipment, packaging and display, and one hundred full-color photographs throughout.”
I’m thrilled to get to share a sample recipe with y’all! There are so many cute ones that it was hard to pick, but I loved this “Along Came a Spider” treat for the upcoming Halloween holiday. How perfect for Halloween parties or even a lunchbox treat? Pick up the book for more cute ideas! You will not regret it!
Along Came a Spider Treats
Need a super-quick, super-easy Halloween treat? Here you go! These spider cookies come together in no time at all. Twist open the chocolate sandwich cookies, add some black lace licorice strands and white candy coating, close up the cookies, and add the eyes—that’s all it takes!
Makes 12 cookies
Black licorice laces (about 16 feet long)
12 chocolate sandwich cookies
1 cup white candy coating
24 candy eyeballs
1. Cut the licorice into 48 strips, each approximately 4 inches in length.
2. Gently twist open the chocolate sandwich cookies.
3. Place four licorice strips onto the side of the sandwich cookie with the filling, and press gently into the filling.
4. Prepare the candy coating according to package directions. Working one cookie at a time, spoon approximately 1 to 2 teaspoons of the candy coating on top of the licorice strips and cookie filling. Place the top back on the sandwich cookie.
5. With a spoon, place a small amount of candy coating on top of the sandwich cookies where the spider eyes will be placed. Immediately place two candy eyeballs onto the candy coating. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Allow to dry for at least 2 hours.
Go order a copy of this sweet book here and find more sweet fabulousness on her site here!
Reprinted with permission from Smart Cookie © 2014 Christi Farr Johnstone, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Photos above © 2014 by Allan Penn
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
I love the spiders, such a smart idea!
Thanks Jamie! I wish I could take credit for it, that Christi is such a talented gem!
Excellent post. I will be going through many of these issues as well..