It’s December! Snow, Christmas trees, lights, parties, and of course – holiday desserts! My fave! You know I love a good “mini” dessert (I have a whole Pinterest board devoted to them). This year, I decided Christmas needed chocolate peppermint mini cakes. They literally couldn’t be easier to make and served up on fancy dishes, they’re the perfect party treat! I’m hosting a few dinner parties this holiday season and I think a little dessert table with these mini cakes will be perfect!
I also love Christmas because it means holiday plates and napkins galore! I love polka dots and stripes as they are reminiscent of childhood and very Kate-Spade-esque! I selected an assortment of red and white plates and a fun striped fabric as my tablecloth. Add in the peppermint chocolate mini cakes and you have yourself a holiday treat party in the works! I have a 6 month old daughter so she’s a bit too young to enjoy mini cakes but I think this recipe is perfect for kids because you can let them help sprinkle on the crushed candy cakes and peppermints. Yum!
I chose a 2″ round and 3″ round cake pans to make these mini cakes. You can look for these small “top tier” cake pans at cake stores or you could also use a cupcake pan. Another option is to make your cake in a jelly roll sheet pan and use round cookie cutters to “cut out” the round cake layers. Lots of options, so I hope one of these will work easily for you. I love this recipe because it’s easy (box mix with a makeover) but you can easily sub in your favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe if you prefer to go 100% homemade
Chocolate Peppermint Mini Cakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix - I love using dark chocolate if I can find it
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant chocolate fudge pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter - room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5-7 crushed candy canes or peppermint candies for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.Combine cake mix, pudding, sour cream, oil, water, and eggs in electric mixer with paddle attachment. Beat together on medium for 5 minutes until fluffy and thoroughly combined.
- Scoop cake batter into mini cake pans and bake for 20 minutes (if small cake pans). Adjust your timing if using the sheet roll method or larger cake pans. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cream butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar, alternating with cream (or milk) until thick and fluffy.
- Add in peppermint extract and whip for 2 minutes on medium.
- Fill piping bag with peppermint buttercream. Set aside
- Use a serrated knife to gently cut each mini cake into 2 or 3 layers. Fill with piped frosting.
- Garnish with peppermint candies!
I hope you love this easy and delicious recipe for peppermint chocolate mini cakes! Serve them up for your family and friends this Christmas season!
This post was originally published at I Heart Naptime on November 11, 2014.