November is here! It’s my birthday month and Thanksgiving month! I’m excited to share one of my favorite little treat ideas for the holiday. It’s the perfect way to say “thanks” this Thanksgiving? I’m going to teach you how to make cute and delicious decorated fortune cookies filled with your own, personalized messages! Serve them up as favors at your Thanksgiving or place one on each dinner plate to welcome guests with a little something sweet. I love this idea for all sorts of celebrations!
However you serve these Thanksgiving fortune cookies, your friends and family will love them. They’re not as hard to make as you might think, and making them yourself means you can personalize the messages to say exactly what you want! Let the kids get in on the phone by drawing little pictures or messages too! *FUN TIP* You can even add a drop or two of food coloring to the cookie batter to create fun colored fortune cookies!
Make your own Thanksgiving Fortune Cookies
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons granulated sugar
4-6 tablespoons water
white, milk, or dark chocolate for dipping
chopped nuts or sprinkles for garnish
fortunes on stripes of paper
HOW TO MAKE FORTUNE COOKIES:
- Write out your fortunes (or print from your computer) onto paper strips that are 3.5 inches by .5 inches.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. and grease baking sheet well (you don’t want your fortune cookies to stick)!
- In a mixing bowl, beat large egg whites until foamy but not stiff. Add in extracts and oil and mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, salt, and sugar) and add to wet ingredients. Stir until combined. Add in water and stir well until consistency is that of pancake batter. It needs to be slightly runny.
- Place drops of cookie batter onto greased sheet in 3-inch rounds. Batter should drop easily off spoon and spread out thin. Try tilting pan back and forth until batter spreads out to roughly 4-inch rounds. Do not worry if they’re not perfectly circular! Try baking only 2-3 at a time so you can work quickly to form them into fortune cookies.
- Bake around 7 minutes or until edges of cookies are golden. Working quickly, add your fortune to the cookie use a spatula to flip one side of cookie onto other (creating half moons).
- Next, fold fortune cookie over edge of glass and place in a muffin tin to retain shape while cooling.
- Repeat with batter until cookies baked!
- After cookies have cooled, dip into melted chocolate and decorate with crushed nuts or sprinkles!
YIELDS: 10-14 fortune cookies depending on size