Classic chicken salad served stuffed in summer-ripened tomatoes makes even a simple luncheon or shower dish into a crowd-worthy presentation!
Chicken salad is one of those foods that my husband and I could eat almost every week – and we do! I am sharing our favorite chicken salad recipe with you in hopes you’ll love it too!
I love these chicken salad stuffed tomatoes for a pretty luncheon entree, served on a little gem or bibb lettuce leaf. You can find that small lettuce type, often packed in a clear containers, in the produce section.
While chicken salad can be quite a polarizing recipe – grapes or no grapes – nuts or no nuts – raisins? Relish? The options go on! Personally, I love a classic, simple chicken salad that’s perfect for serving to a crowd where you might have lots of flavor preferences. You cannot go wrong with this recipe!
With that said, I do recommend tailoring this chicken salad to your own favorite flavors. Add toasted, chopped pecans. Add more bacon on top. Add a tablespoon or two of spicy mustard. You get the idea!
You can make it with any type of cooked chicken. My personal favorite is a rotisserie chicken – why I love Costco!
What I LOVE about this recipe is that you can make it ahead, even prepped in the tomatoes (day of) and serve it up in seconds. This makes life so easy when hosting a luncheon or shower. Plus, it’s definitely healthier than other dishes, it’s low-carb friendly for those on a keto or low-carb diet.
Stuffing large ripe tomatoes with the chicken salad makes the perfect “grab and plate” entree for a luncheon, baby shower, backyard party, or simply a quick meal-prep for a busy week.
One tip! Be sure to select evenly sized, medium to large tomatoes that sit flat on the bottom. You can lightly cut the bottom off to help it sit more evenly, if necessary. Some suggested varieties are beefsteak, brandywine, better boy and purple cherokee.
Cut off the top of the tomato, about 1″ down and scoop out the flesh inside the tomato. You can reserve this for a salsa! Take a paper towel and dab inside the tomato to dry up any juices.
Use an ice cream scoop to scoop your chicken salad into the hollowed-out tomato shell. It makes it SO easy!
Here are a few other favorite ideas for stuffing tomatoes!
- Classic Chicken Salad (recipe below)
- Pimento Cheese
- Tuna Salad
- Egg Salad
- Side Salad (Caesar, Arugula Salad)
You can also serve hot baked dishes in stuffed tomatoes, but if you want a cold lunch entree, go with a cold salad like chicken salad.
Garnishing Chicken Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
I love to add a little garnish to any dish, especially when serving it at a party. You can bring out flavors from the dish itself (like green onion) or spice things up with crumbled bacon! Below are a few more garnish ideas for your chicken salad.
- Crumbled Bacon
- Green Onion or Chives
- Pecans, Almonds, Walnuts, etc.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Course Ground Black Pepper
What to Serve with Chicken Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
You can easily serve this dish alongside a tray of crackers, bread rounds, and sliced veggies for an appetizer idea. You can also serve it with fresh fruit salad and perhaps a side caesar or other salad for a light meal. A few other perfect pairings are below….
Chicken Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken cooked and shredded (I love to use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 tomatoes large, ripe
To Make the Chicken Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, celery, green onion, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir until combined well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To make Stuffed Tomatoes
- Using a sharp knife, cut the top of large, ripe tomatoes (about 1" down from top) and carefully remove all tomato pulp. Pat the inside of the tomato dry with a paper towel.
- Use a scooper or large spoon to fill the tomatoes (about 1/2 cup) with the cold chicken salad.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings like crumbled bacon, chopped green onion, chives, everything bagel seasoning, parsley, basil, thyme, etc. Serve on a bed of lettuce and enjoy!
A classic rotisserie chicken salad stuffed into vine-ripened tomatoes for the perfect dish for a luncheon, shower or quick weeknight meal!