I recently asked one of my best friends: “What is your favorite dessert?” to which she aptly responds “just one?!“. That’s why she’s my bestie. Anyway, she replies with Tres Leches Cake! Yum. However, that doesn’t fly too well and since I am seeing her this weekend, I decided to make her some dulce de leche cookie bars instead. Close enough, right? Right. They’re super easy (they use refrigerated sugar cookie dough) and completely totally melt-in-your-mouth ooey gooey good. Whip up these bad boys for friends, neighbors, coworkers, whoever. Good luck giving them away though, these dulce de leche cookie bars recipe is at the top of my fave recipes list now. They’re certainly not the perfect, every-one-looks-the-same type dessert. Embrace the ooey gooey, y’all!
Happy Weekending, friends!
Dulce de Leche Cookie Bars
- 2 rolls - 16.5 oz each Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 bag - 14 oz caramels, unwrapped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 can - 14 oz sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1 roll sugar cookie dough with 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup brown sugar. I added a couple extra scoops of oats in mine. Knead it together until combined.
- Flour the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan and press down the dough until pan is covered. Bake for 14 minutes and remove from oven.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine caramels, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Be sure to stir often to avoid burning. Once smooth, remove from heat. Pour over cookie crust in 9x13 pan.
- Combine second cookie dough roll, 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup brown sugar and knead until combined. Roll out and lay over top of caramel on 9x13 pan. If it doesn't all roll out into a perfect 9x13 shape, no problem! Just cover the caramel with the dough.
- Return to oven for 22-25 minutes.
- Let cool in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. These will not cut into perfectly amazing little squares. Don't fret. They're delish. They're meant to be ooey gooey so keep that in mind.