Whenever I’m headed to a tailgate, I always like to pack easy tailgate foods that I can set right out and enjoy. These football cookies are the PERFECT Football Party Food; easy to make, sweet and delicious, and shaped like footballs!
Football Party Food
If you make these football cinnamon roll cookies (are you listening closely?), you MUST…MUST…put them in your to-go tailgate container immediately, or you risk eating them as you head out the door.
Then you’ll HAVE no football cookies. No, seriously. They’re that good. Or double the batch if you want any left by halftime!
This cute recipe for football cookies is fun for the kids to help make (or your husband) and it’s always a crowd pleaser! They’re a twist on a favorite childhood recipe using extra pie crust and cinnamon sugar. The swirls of cinnamon buttery goodness are SO good. And football laces? Too cute and easy, y’all!
I know how it is to haul a bunch of stuff to a tailgate, and fussy foods just won’t do. Easy tailgate foods are key, these football treats are perfect.
- 1 pie crust refrigerated or homemade, thawed
- ½ stick butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out pie crust and brush with softened or slightly melted butter. Be sure to spread butter evenly to all edges.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll pie crust lengthwise into a tight long roll. Use a sharp knife to cut 1” rolls.
- Lay each roll flat and use the bottom of a large glass to flatten to about ¼” thickness.
- Use a knife or cookie cutter to cut out football shape from flattened roll.
- Bake all football shaped cinnamon rolls for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden (this depends on thickness and size also so watch carefully).
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Whisk together powdered sugar with milk and vanilla extract to make a thick glaze. You can also use vanilla frosting. The key is a thick glaze that won’t spread when piped. Pipe on the lace design to resemble a football.
Here are a few photos of making the football cookies. They’re very easy and kid-friendly if you have a little chef on your hands. I know my daughter Blakely LOVES to help me make these for game day and tailgating!
Step-By-Step Football Cookies
You can make this football party food a day ahead. Just store them in a single layer so the icing does not get messed up. These are a great treat to package together as a hostess gift if you’re headed out to watch the game!
You can even pipe the laces in your team’s colors! Just use food coloring to tint the icing.
MAKE A JUMBO FOOTBALL COOKIE
- For a twist on this recipe, make one large football cinnamon roll by placing the cinnamon rolls together and using a rolling pin to flatten out the rolls as one large piece.
- Use a knife to cut out a large football shape and bake accordingly.
- Pipe on the large laces and enjoy!
- Kids and adults alike will love this tasty football treat!
MORE TAILGATE & FOOTBALL PARTY FOOD IDEAS
- Super Bowl Party Recipes (great for year-round tailgating too)
- BBQ Bowls
- Football Sandwich Bar & Tailgate Tacos
- 9 Football Shaped Foods
If you make this recipe or my other easy tailgate foods, be sure to share with me on social media! I’m @pizzazzerie on all channels.