Sweet heart petit fours just in time for Valentine’s Day! Check out my recipe created for PAM Cooking Spray (one of my oh so sweet sponsors) below!
Ready for all the love, pink, red, kisses, hearts, etc.? OK, so I LOVE Valentine’s Day! A day devoted to gushing all over the ones we love? Hello, that’s my kind of celebration! These mini petit fours are my daughter’s favorite treat! I should also note they are my husband’s latest obsession too. If you like almond flavor and “wedding cake” flavor, you’ll love these!
Teaching my daughter how to bake and enjoy time in the kitchen hasn’t been too difficult. She adores helping me stir and decorate with sprinkles of course. Everything must have sprinkles. Everrrrything. She’s not as into cleanup, however. Can’t really blame her—neither am I! You might remember my book tour for Push-Up Pops with PAM Cooking Spray. I had so much fun meeting so many Pizzazzerie followers (and eating yummies) that I just had to share more about why I love this fabulous spray. Ever had to measure out peanut butter or shortening? It’s crazy hard to get out of the measuring cup unless you spritz it with PAM Cooking Spray first. Tips, friends—I love them! Less cleanup time = more playtime for Blakely to throw Teddy Parties. <–Her favorite thing ever.
Onto the sweet recipe! Now, I made mine in a mini heart pan, but you can easily do a sheet pan and make little squares or a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to create hearts. The idea is the same!
Just remember that if you bake it in a large sheet pan you’ll need to increase your baking time a bit. I used these jumbo heart sprinkles to decorate my petit fours! You can also drizzle on chocolate or just leave them plain. They have a touch of almond flavor and will melt in your mouth!
You might also love my Heart Mini Cakes for Valentine’s Day!
Valentine’s Day Heart Petit Fours
For the Petit Four Cakes:
- 1/4 cup butter - softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 egg whites
For the Glaze:
- 4 cups powdered sugar - sifted
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Valentine’s Heart Sprinkles
- Cream together butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Alternate adding flour mixture with milk until combined.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into petit fours batter, and stir until just combined.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray baking pan with PAM Cooking Spray.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden (or a toothpick inserted comes out clean). My mini heart pan was very small, so 5 minutes was perfect. Watch your oven carefully.
- Allow to cool before glazing.
- To make glaze, combine powdered sugar, corn syrup, and extract in a double boiler, and heat until smooth. This might take a little time to heat up; just stir periodically.
- Once smooth, dip hearts upside down in glaze, then return to wire rack to allow to cool. Decorate with a heart sprinkle. You can also heat up your glaze even further to make the glaze more “pourable” if preferred.