Hi my fabulous Halloween hostesses! I’m super excited to share my spider web Halloween cupcakes with all of you! Did YOU know that white cotton candy happens to look a lot like a spider web? Well well, it absolutely does which makes it a super easy and clever way to make spider web cupcakes for Halloween this year. You might be wondering, “where will I find white cotton candy this time of year?” but do not fret! You can sometimes find it at dollar stores year-round or you can buy it online for cheap! I bought mine here and just used the small tub which made a dozen cupcakes (or more depending on how much of it you use on each cupcake).
It really couldn’t be easier! Or tastier! You simply build the cotton candy up as tall as you like. It sticks to itself so you can make it whatever shape web you’d like. Little plastic spiders stick right on giving it the perfect “spider web” look. If you would prefer the cupcake to be 100% edible, then you can pipe little spiders in dark chocolate on parchment paper, peel off, and stick right on. There are a few tutorials I found online if you’d rather go this route (one here and one here).
Cute, right? I just love these! Serve up a cupcake tray of these at your Halloween party or make them with the kids for a fun afternoon treat. If you want to get colorful, colored cotton candy for “pink spider webs” or other colors would be a whimsical twist! If you prefer more cotton candy and less cupcake, try serving it up traditional style like these adorable purple spider webs by my friend Mariah of Giggles Galore! However you put your twist on the cotton candy spider web idea, it’s definitely one you should try this Halloween!
Here is a pinnable image if you’d rather save it over on Pinterest!
You might also love...
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 containers of white cotton candy
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with liners (makes 24).
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
- Carefully stir in boiling water. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes for cupcakes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cream butter in electric mixer fit with paddle attachment for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar to butter 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and milk and beat for 2 minutes.
- If you want a thicker consistency, add more powdered sugar.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Loosely set cotton candy on top of white frosting. Garnish with spiders!