Now that we covered all things savory with yesterday’s BBQ Bowl, how about we go back to some sugar, shall we? My third book – Frostings – is truly one of my favorites. I was the child (and maybe still adult) that eats the cake part first so I can save the frosting for last. I love Frosting! You too? Good, you’ve come to the RIGHT place! You can pick up a copy of my book here, but I’m also sharing a sample recipe with you all today – one of my faves – Browned Butter Frosting!
Try Browned Butter Frosting on Cakes or Cupcakes!
I love to use this browned butter frosting on cakes and cupcakes all year long. My favorite is using it on a ginger or spice cake because the frosting has a slightly nutty taste – in the most delicious way possible. If you search browned butter on Pinterest or Google, you’ll find hundreds of amazing recipes using browned butter for sweet and savory dishes. It’s a whole new world, I’m telling you! Give it a try.
Browned Butter Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until butter turns slightly brown (small brown specks will appear on bottom of saucepan). Stir continuously. Be careful not to overcook (if you see black specks, you have overcooked). Remove from heat, cover, and allow to cool until solidified (you can place in refrigerator for 20-25 minutes to speed up this process).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter for 2 minutes on medium speed. Adjust speed to low and add powdered sugar to butter 1 cup at a time until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract, and heavy cream (or milk). Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Add more powdered sugar to thicken frosting or milk/cream to loosen frosting.
Thanks to my Frostings book photographer Kyle Dreier for the gorgeous shots! We consumed quite a lot of frosting during the shooting of this book!
Here are a few other sweet recipes you might enjoy!
- Red Velvet Oreo Chocolate Cake
- Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
- Blueberry Vanilla Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Toffee Cupcakes