Make delicious Neapolitan Cupcakes with this easy recipe! You’ll love the classic Neapolitan layers of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla!
Neapolitan ice cream has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl! There is just something about the delicious trio of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry that is just so pretty!
Spumoni was brought to the United States in the 1870s as Neapolitan-style ice cream with the traditional flavors being chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. You’ll often find pistachio on spumoni flavor trios as well. I personally love the chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry combination so I created these delicious and easy Neapolitan-style cupcakes to celebrate the occasion!
You don’t have to pick just one flavor either, you get to enjoy all 3! It’s truly the perfect party trio if you ask me! I recently created Neapolitan Cupcakes in honor of the fabulous trio, and it’s so easy and pretty! Swap these out for a birthday cake or just serve up them at any celebration!
Neapolitan Cupcakes are perfect for serving at a baby shower or children’s party – or truly any occasion!
More Sweet Treats to Enjoy:
- Easy Cream Cheese Cookies
- Bubbly Champagne Cupcakes
- The Easiest Peach Dump Cake Recipe Ever (SO good!)
For the Cupcakes
- 3 cups cake flour - sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 5 egg whites
For the Frosting
- ½ cup butter - softened
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 drops pink food coloring
- ½ teaspoon strawberry extract - optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift together your cake flour and baking powder.
- In an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add in your vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add flour and milk (alternating after each addition). In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites and fold into cupcake batter.
- Fill each liner 2/3 full and bake for 17-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Begin with chocolate frosting by creaming ¼ cup butter with cocoa powder in an electric mixer. Alternate ¼ cup heavy cream with 2 ½ to 3 cups powdered sugar until frosting consistency reached. For thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar. For a looser frosting, add more cream (or milk). If piping, you’ll want a thicker frosting.
- To make the vanilla and strawberry frosting, beat ¼ cup butter until light and fluffy. Alternate ¼ cup heavy cream with 2 ½ to 3 cups powdered sugar until frosting consistency reached. Separate 2/3 of the frosting and stir in pink food coloring and optional strawberry extract. Stir in the vanilla extract to the remaining 1/3 vanilla frosting.
- Pipe all three frosting layers onto the cupcakes.