Twist on a Thanksgiving Classic: Pecan Pie Cake
When I think of Thanksgiving, my mind immediately jumps to the delicious desserts like pumpkin and pecan pies. Shocking, huh? We have a divided house when it comes to pies. Half of us think pumpkin pie hung the moon and the other half is all pecan.
I like to switch back and forth every year, crazy I know. This year, I put a twist on the classic pecan pie! So I decided to create a delicious pecan pie cake!
Pecan pie cake? What? I know. It’s good, like really good. It has all the favorite elements of a pecan pie: ooey gooey filling and tons of pecans. Then it has a pecan-filled cake too so it’s really a new favorite in my household. Watch out pumpkin pie.
Don’t miss more of my favorite recipes for Thanksgiving Cakes!
This cake is a pound cake base so it’s a bit denser than others, which allows for the weight of the pecan pie filling. I also think this could be a delicious breakfast cake if you’re feeling very devilish. I won’t tell. My favorite part of this cake is that it still has all the best ingredients of a pecan pie (it even sort of looks like one from above)! Pecans are just so pretty!
Pecan Pie Cake
For the Cake:
- 1-1/2 cups butter - softened
- 2 cups light brown sugar - packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
For the Filling:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups pecans - 1 cup chopped, ½ cup halved
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees F.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter. Add sugars and beat until fluffy and light. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in mixing bowl, alternating with milk. Add in vanilla extract and beat until all ingredients are combined (but not longer).
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Fill 2 round cake layers (I used 8”) with batter and bake for 60-75 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (the length could vary depending upon size of pan used).
- For the filling: Mix cornstarch and brown sugar in medium saucepan. Set aside.
- Beat together egg yolks, water and pinch of salt. Place saucepan on medium and add egg mixture to pan. Stir together on medium.
- Add pecans. Stir consistently until mixture thickens.
- Let boil for 1 minute, stirring the whole time.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Brush corn syrup on the top of cake layers and top with your filling.
I hope you’ll grab a slice of this pecan pie cake this Thanksgiving because it’s truly a delicious twist on the classic holiday pie!
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
This is genius! I love the idea of cake and pecans.
oh my gawd, this pecan pie CAKE is amazing!!! Adding this to my must bake soon list!!! love!
Wow, I mean, WOW!! My mind can’t even contemplate how awesome this pie/cake is! I love that the cake is a pound cake base. It’s my favorite type of cake! :)
I love pound cake too! So good!
What a gorgeous and delicious dessert! My family would go crazy for a slice or two of this!
I would like to place an order for this cake. Please have it delivered the day before Thanksgiving. Thank you!
This cake looks fantastic!! I am not a fan of pecan pie, but I would totally eat this cake! :-)
I always wondered how to make the pecan pie filling, love this twist on a classic!
my father-in-law has a favorite pie at holiday time – Pecan – but i’m betting he’d love this cake too!
I love pecan pie. So, I pretty much think this cake is Genius!
Swoon, is this for real or am I dreaming? Amazing, what a brilliant idea! I absolutely love it! Can’t wait to try this. Love Safeway, right up the street, it’s my main store!