GUESS WHAT, Y’ALL?! I’m going to have an itty bitty dapper nephew so.very.soon! I’m pretty much ECSTATIC. My big brother is going to be a DAD and you can call me Auntie Pizzazz! David (bro) and his wife Laura are awaiting their little boy in just a couple of weeks, and D&L – if you’re reading this – SURPRISE BABY SHOWER!! :)
A little back story: I dragged David into this crazy fun blogging world (find him here at Spiced) a few years ago and he has such a great group of blogging friends that are hosting this shower for him! So check out the links below for all the amazing recipes that are oh so fitting for David’s love of southern “dude food”.
I knew I wanted to make a dessert for this little baby shower because — dessert..obviously. I also knew I wanted it to be full of David’s favorite things! What’s one of his FAVORITE desserts ever? Well… these snowball powdered sugar cookies. Our Mom always has them at Christmas and we pretty much have to hide the tin can from him ;) I’ve seen truffle cakes with a mound of truffles on top of a chocolate cake. So then I thought…why the heck can’t I do that with snowball cookies? David would pretty much go in face-down?! So yes, you do see snowball cookies piled high on top of a delicious vanilla almond cake! We both love that “wedding cake” almond flavor, and it makes a perfect baby shower cake.
One more trick up my sleeve though, and I recognize the average person might not want to put Oreos in the middle of their cake but if you’re David then you wouldn’t want a cake that DOESN’T have Oreos hidden inside. Duh. So that’s what I did! It’s piled high on top and inside with some of his favorite things.
Back to this cake! The snowball cookies are rolled in powdered sugar before they’re placed on the cake (you can also sprinkle on more powdered sugar once they’re on top).
So without further ado, let’s get on to the recipe!
Vanilla Almond Snowball Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 egg whites
For the Frosting
- 8 Tbs 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the snowballs:
- 1 cup butter - melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pecans - chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar - for rolling cookies in
Optional: 12-15 Oreos
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prep your cake pans with cooking spray or parchment paper.
- Cream butter with electric mixer until fluffy.
- Sift together cake flour and baking powder. In a separate bowl, stir together milk with flavor extracts.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk mixture to the butter.
- Beat on low just until blended.
- Beat egg whites until peaks form. Fold into cake batter. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
For the Snowballs
- Cream the butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until fluffy.
- Add the flour, vanilla, salt, and water. Mix until well blended.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Form the cookies into small 1-inch balls and bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes.
- Roll in the remaining powdered sugar while still warm.
For the Frosting:
- In an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter until fluffy.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until well combined.
- Add milk and extract.
- Add more powdered sugar for a thicker frosting and more milk for a looser frosting.
- Layer Oreos on top of frosting between each layer. Finish top of cake with frosting and top with snowball cookies!
Oh, P.S. What kind of little sister would I be if I didn’t post embarrassing baby photos of you, David? You can scroll on down for those! You’re SO welcome!!
Baby Shower Eats
No Bake Salted Caramel Apple Slice by The Big Man’s World
Philadelphia Cheesesteak – Southern Style by Beer Girl Cooks
Grilled Brown Butter Burgers with Swiss + Boubon Mushrooms by Cooking for Keeps
Pecan Praline Popcorn by Jem Of The South
No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Pecan Tarts by Kevin Is Cooking
Something Amazing by Real Food By Dad
Cinnamon Bacon Donuts by Runnin Srilankan
Buffalo Garlic Knots by Shared Appetite
Maple Bourbon Bacon Chocolate Donuts by URBAN BAKES
Now for those baby photos you’ve all been waiting for…. here is our resident foodie-in-the-making as a wee little baby!
So David, in just a few weeks you’ll enter the “parent club”. It’s full of all kinds of hilariousness. Namely…yelling things like “DO NOT LICK THE DOG” and “DON’T PUT THAT IN THE TOILET”. Good thing is you’re usually too tired to really remember yelling those things! ;) I can’t wait to snuggle your little monkey. He doesn’t know it yet, but Crazy Aunt Courtney is coming for him!
As for the rest of you, be sure to hop up to visit the other baby shower blog links! And of course, you HAVE to make this Snowball Cake! And visit David’s site Spiced here!