You’ll love this decadent Jack Daniels cake if you’re a whiskey fan!
Jack Daniels Cake
So my husband’s birthday is next month and I’ve been thinking all about the perfect “guy cake”! Two of Chris’ favorite things are chocolate and whiskey so naturally I had to combine both of these into the ultimate Jack Daniels cake! He grew up just miles from the Jack Daniels Distillery (woohoo Tennessee) so Jack Daniels was the natural choice of whiskey.
I love the mini bottles because they also make great favors by the way! Tie them on to a coke bottle for “Jack & Coke”. I digress from the cake… anyway…this recipe is SUPER easy. When you have a 3 month old baby and work full-time WITH baby in tow, easy is key. Delicious is also key and this Jack Daniels cake is SO GOOD!
My favorite part of this Jack Daniels cake is the fudge icing. It takes just a few minutes to make and it’s drippy amazingness. Nope, no fussy frosting here. Just pour and go! Speaking of frostings however, I’d be remiss not to mention this little book written by yours truly! If you love frosting, you will LOVE that book.
You can make this cake in cupcake form and still use the Jack Daniels fudge frosting. You can also leave out the Jack Daniels if you want to. For the rest of us, cheers! Jack Daniels Fudge Icing for the win!
If you want to, you can can certainly use this Jack Daniels fudge icing on a white or yellow cake. Be sure the cake is dense enough to support the weight of the fudge frosting, it’s thick! That’s what makes it taste so good!
Chocolate Cake with Jack Daniels Fudge Icing
For the Cake:
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Jack Daniels Fudge Icing:
- 1/4 cup Jack Daniels whiskey
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine cake mix, pudding, sour cream, oil, water, and eggs in electric mixer with paddle attachment. Beat together on medium for 5 minutes until fluffy and thoroughly combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into cake pans. Depending on size, bake for 25 minutes (for 6 inch cake) or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (you may have some chocolate on toothpick from the chips). Increase baking time for larger cake.
- NOTE: If you want a stronger Jack Daniels flavor, you can add 1/4 cup to the cake batter as well as the fudge icing. Or add more to the fudge icing (add additional chocolate chips too so the icing doesn't thin out too much).
- Let cake cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar, and evaporated milk.
- Stir together until rolling boil and time for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add in chocolate chips and Jack Daniels.
- Immediately pour over cake (will set up quickly).
If you try this jack daniels cake, let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy it! If you’re looking for coordinating party table ideas, check out this bourbon & chocolate charcuterie board! It’s also a great party idea for Father’s Day as well as birthdays.