Gearing up for Blakey’s first Christmas around these parts, last minute present shopping, and trying to actually relax but, I’m back with a super simple caramel gingerbread cupcake recipe that will be the bell of your jingle ball!
I hope you’ll try it and if you do, tag me @Pizzazzerie on Instagram so I can see your sweet cupcakes! Whether you are entertaining friends at home or just whipping up a special dessert for a holiday movie night with your family, this caramel gingerbread cupcake recipe is the perfect sweet treat.
Why I love these Gingerbread Cupcakes
The flavors of molasses and brown sugar make this cupcake delicious on its own (call it a muffin, we won’t tell), but if you really want to get the full delicious flavor of this treat, top it with the cream cheese frosting and drizzled caramel sauce. It’s truly a decadent dessert that the whole family will love!
These are a delightful holiday dessert for a crowd too! You can even make the cupcakes and freeze them ahead of time.
After thawing, top with frosting and caramel drizzle. Or set up a full gingerbread dessert bar for a party at home. You can set out frosting, spices, and sauces to let everyone “build their own” cupcake treat!
P.S. If you want more gingerbread ideas, check out my cut-out gingerbread cookies!
Caramel Gingerbread Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup molasses
- 1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
For the Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream together butter and sugar for cupcakes. Add egg, water, sour cream, and molasses, and combine until smooth.
- Add in flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat for 2 minutes on low speed.
- Scoop into cupcake liners (2/3 full) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- With electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until thoroughly mixed. Add in vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and drizzle with caramel sauce. Enjoy!
Check back soon fro some fabulous New Year’s Eve ideas!