With the arrival of fall comes the best season for delicious desserts from pumpkin and caramel to apple and maple. I’m so excited to kick off this tasty time of year with my favorite easy apple cake recipe. It’s a family favorite that has been passed down for generations. As a little girl, I can remember sitting around our dining room table with my grandfather as we ate this apple cake together! I hope this recipe creates many memories at home for you too! I’ll be sharing another favorite apple recipe again soon so all my apple lovers, rejoice!
The glaze on this cake is my absolute favorite. Doesn’t it look amazing? I could maybe eat it with a spoon. When it cools, it adds a top layer that is so decadent and full of brown sugar flavor. Not only is it moist and delicious but it couldn’t be easier so grab those aprons and let’s get baking!
You could certainly leave the nuts out or change them up if you’d like!
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 cups granny smith apples, diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325 ° F. Beat the oil, sugar and eggs with electric mixer until well blended. Add in vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add to wet ingredients and beat until just blended.
- Stir in diced apples and pecans. Pour batter into 9x13 baking pan. I have tried this recipe in a bundt pan but the key to this cake is the glaze soaking into it so a flat sheet pan works best.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 or until lightly golden and cooked through. Let cool.
- To make glaze, add butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and milk to a saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil and pour over the cooled cake. Let the cake cool again completely (can chill in refrigerator until ready to slice). Slice into squares and enjoy!
If you want more dessert recipes, check out my others here! I also styled up an Apple Pie Themed Party you might like to check out here! This cake would be a fabulous addition to an apple party, don’t you think? It’s SO good so I hope you’ll try it out!