Apple Cake Recipe
With the arrival of fall comes the best season for delicious desserts from pumpkin and caramel to apple and maple. I’m so excited to kick off this tasty time of year with my favorite easy apple cake recipe. It’s a family favorite that has been passed down for generations.
As a little girl, I can remember sitting around our dining room table with my grandfather as we ate this apple cake together! I hope this apple cake recipe creates many memories at home for you too! I’ll be sharing another favorite apple recipe again soon so all my apple lovers, rejoice!
The glaze on this apple cake is my absolute favorite. Doesn’t it look amazing? I could maybe eat it with a spoon. When it cools, it adds a top layer that is so decadent and full of brown sugar flavor. Not only is it moist and delicious but it couldn’t be easier so grab those aprons and let’s get baking!
Keep in mind that you can bake this in any shape you like, it just might adjust your baking time if it’s a deeper pan. I love the jelly roll sheet pan because it makes these a bit like “apple cake bars”. Easy to serve to a crowd – or go back for a second piece. ;)
You could certainly leave the nuts out or change them up if you’d like! I love pecans but walnuts would also be a delicious addition.
Tips for Making Apple Cake
- Use fresh apples for this apple cake! They make all the difference. I chose Granny Smith but Jonathans, McIntosh, and Honeycrisp would work well also.
- Bring your eggs to room temperature before baking. My Mom taught me this trick for baking. You can either set them out in advance or quickly warm them in a bowl of warm water.
- Also make sure your butter is room temperature. I usually set out my butter and eggs several hours before baking.
- Don’t over-bake your apple cake! Watch it carefully as ovens vary (as do baking pans).
- I mentioned this above but make this apple cake your own! If you love walnuts, swap those in or leave nuts out completely. It’s up to you!
If you want more dessert recipes, check out my others here! I also styled up an Apple Pie Themed Party you might like to check out here! This apple cake would be a fabulous addition to an apple party, don’t you think? It’s SO good so I hope you’ll try it out!
If you try this apple cake recipe with your friends and family, you MUST tell me how you like it! For my family, it’s our go-to favorite cake recipe for the holidays. I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Celebrate the arrival of apple season with this delicious “best ever apple cake” recipe. Get the recipe and try it out with your family this fall!
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 3 cups granny smith apples diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 325 ° F. Beat the oil, sugar and eggs with electric mixer until well blended. Add in vanilla extract.
Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add to wet ingredients and beat until just blended.
Stir in diced apples and pecans. Pour batter into 9x13 baking pan. I have tried this recipe in a bundt pan but the key to this cake is the glaze soaking into it so a flat sheet pan works best.
Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 or until lightly golden and cooked through. Let cool.
To make glaze, add butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and milk to a saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil and pour over the cooled cake. Let the cake cool again completely (can chill in refrigerator until ready to slice). Slice into squares and enjoy!
For another favorite cake recipe, try out my Rum Cake with Rum Icing Glaze. It’s so decadent and amazing!