St. Patrick’s Day is almost here! It’s time to whip up a mini delicious treat that is perfect for the holiday. I love these brownie cups for all occasions because they are always the first to go at parties (because they’re oh so delicious). It’s easy to give them a St. Patrick’s Day “twist” with a secret surprise! These brownie cups hide a POT O’ GOLD for all the lucky leprechauns.
If you’re making these for kids (or even adults), try only having one special brownie cup hold the gold and give a prize to the child who selects that brownie cup! They’ll have a blast and will love seeing the special gold inside this easy-to-make treat.
You can certainly customize these yummies to your liking! You could add shamrock sprinkles (let the kids help!) or even add a ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract for a minty dessert. If you’re in a hurry, use a store-bought brownie mix or even store-bought brownie cups. Below is the full recipe + how-to!
Try this easy and delicious St. Patrick's Day treat with your family!
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 /2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- green food coloring gel
- gold Sprinkles, gold stars, or other edible gold decorations!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt ½ cup butter for brownie cups. Add to sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir with wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder until combined. Stir into wet ingredients with wooden spoon just until mixed. Do not beat or overmix.
- Scoop 2 teaspoon size amounts into a greased mini muffin pan (with each cavity about halfway full).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until releasing from edges and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let cool and use back of a wooden spoon to push down brownie center for gold. Pour in gold sprinkles.
- In a mixing bowl with paddle attachment, beat together butter and 2 cups powdered sugar. Add additional sugar 1 cup at a time. Add cream (or milk) and food coloring. Beat for 2-3 minutes on medium until light and fluffy.
- Using a piping bag and fluted tip, swirl on a dollop of frosting to each brownie cup to hide the gold surprise! Top with a shamrock decoration or sprinkles.