Hidden Pot of Gold Brownie Cups!
St. Patrick’s Day is almost here! It’s time to whip up a mini delicious treat that is perfect for the holiday. I love these brownie cups for all occasions because they are always the first to go at parties (because they’re oh so delicious). It’s easy to give them a St. Patrick’s Day “twist” with a secret surprise! These brownie cups hide a POT O’ GOLD for all the lucky leprechauns.
If you’re making these for kids (or even adults), try only having one special brownie cup hold the gold and give a prize to the child who selects that brownie cup! They’ll have a blast and will love seeing the special gold inside this easy-to-make treat.
You can certainly customize these yummies to your liking! You could add shamrock sprinkles (let the kids help!) or even add a ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract for a minty dessert. If you’re in a hurry, use a store-bought brownie mix or even store-bought brownie cups. Below is the full recipe + how-to!
Hidden Pot of Gold Brownie Cups
For the Brownie Cups:
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
For the Frosting:
- 1 /2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- green food coloring gel
- gold Sprinkles - gold stars, or other edible gold decorations!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt ½ cup butter for brownie cups. Add to sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir with wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder until combined. Stir into wet ingredients with wooden spoon just until mixed. Do not beat or overmix.
- Scoop 2 teaspoon size amounts into a greased mini muffin pan (with each cavity about halfway full).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until releasing from edges and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let cool and use back of a wooden spoon to push down brownie center for gold. Pour in gold sprinkles.
- In a mixing bowl with paddle attachment, beat together butter and 2 cups powdered sugar. Add additional sugar 1 cup at a time. Add cream (or milk) and food coloring. Beat for 2-3 minutes on medium until light and fluffy.
- Using a piping bag and fluted tip, swirl on a dollop of frosting to each brownie cup to hide the gold surprise! Top with a shamrock decoration or sprinkles.
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
These are so adorable!! Absolutely love them :) would you mind if I featured them in my St. Patty’s Day recipe roundup on my blog?!
I made hidden pot of gold cupcakes last year. They were chocolate cupcakes with a gold colored core. I love how you used gold sprinkles so that it really does look like pieces of gold pouring out!
Love your cupcake idea too!
How cute + clever!! Love.
Thanks Michelle! xoxo
I made these for a St. Patrick’s Day get together this past Sunday, and they were such a big hit! Everyone loved them, and I didn’t tell anyone there was gold in it until they bit into it! The look on their face!
The website for the receipe and how to, doesn’t seem to be working. Could you kindly help? thanksss!!
Hi Mari! It’s working on my end. Try it here: http://www.homes.com/for-the-holidays/pot-of-gold-brownie-cups/
Yes, thanks so much!
Love the gold sprinkles in the middle! This will be a hit in my household for sure!
Super cute idea. I’m hosting an office party this weekend and will be trying this.