You all know how I feel about mini party foods, right? Obsessed, really. There’s always a celebration around the corner that deserves a go-to appetizer. Whether it’s a birthday, a baby shower, game night, or just a festive dinner with the family, I wanted to share my easy recipe for shrimp tostada bites! They’re easy to make for a crowd, always the first to disappear at my parties, and quite colorful might I add! They’re one or two bites each so it’s perfect for mixing and mingling! This is a true year-round favorite for party appetizers in my house!
If you want to save time, make the tortilla rounds a day ahead and warm them once your layer of beans is on. I like to keep tortilla rounds like these on-hand to create easy last-minute party bites. They can virtually be topped with anything (diced chicken and guacamole, for example) for a variety of delicious appetizers. To make the rounds, I used a 1 1/2″ cookie cutter. This fit a small shrimp very nicely but you can easily make whatever size your heart desires!
I love the versatility of this recipe because it’s perfect to suit everyone’s tastes! Make it vegetarian by adding diced peppers and black beans, for example. I happen to love shrimp so these shrimp tostada bites are my favorite variation. Chicken or steak would be a great alternative as well.
- 20 mini round tortillas (cut from large flour tortillas - 1.5-3")
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded white cheese (I used a queso blanco)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions
- 20 small shrimp (tail-off, de-veined)
- 3 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Use a small round cutter to create mini rounds from larger flour tortillas. Bake at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes or until toasted.
- When cooled enough to handle, spread on refried beans and top with diced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Dice cilantro and green onions and add on top.
- In a grill pan, saute the shrimp in 1 tablespoon olive oil with fajita seasoning and black pepper until thoroughly cooked.
- Top each tostada bite with a sauteed shrimp.
- Keep warm on a baking sheet in a warm oven.
If you’re on the hunt for more appetizer ideas, check out a few of my other faves:
- Caramelized Onion & Pear Tarts
- 17 Appetizer Boards (Cheese, Charcuterie, etc)
- Bourbon-Infused Cranberry & Goat Cheese Bites
I hope you enjoy these shrimp tostada bites and other appetizer ideas! If you have suggestions for other types of party foods you’d love to see, leave me a comment below or on social media – I’m @pizzazzerie!