Pumpkin banana bread combines two of my favorite flavors into the perfect fall bread recipe!
I waited until September, but I can’t wait any longer. It’s PUMPKIN season so let’s begin with a bang, shall we? Time for the best pumpkin banana bread you’ve ever tasted.
It’s a nice ease into #allthingspumpkin because it still has all your favorite things about typical banana bread but with the added pumpkin flavor!
I always seems to have over-ripe bananas on the counter, and that is the secret to a great banana bread. Over-ripe bananas are sweeter and easier to mash for your banana bread.
So grab a few extra bananas at the store and let them ripen up. You’ll thank me later. Of course, stock up on canned pumpkin too! It’s fall, y’all!
My Mom gave me her grandmother’s famous banana bread recipe – it’s over 100 years old! So we did a little baking to give it a pumpkin twist! It makes two loaves so half it if you prefer just one, but trust me – you’ll want two loaves of this bread. Gift one loaf to a friend. They’ll thank you — and then ask you for the recipe.
Tips for the Perfect Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Use very ripe bananas.
- Use canned pumpkin, not canned pumpkin pie filling
- Set butter out several hours before baking so that it will be at room temperature.
- Also let eggs come to room temperature before baking
- Don’t have pumpkin pie spice? Make your own! Combine 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice and 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves.
You’ll notice little bits of banana in the recipe, they’re delicious. I recommend being sure your bananas are very ripe! This helps make them sweeter.
You can certainly add nuts or even raisins to this recipe, but I like to make it with just the pumpkin and banana. It’s so good, trust me. If you want a sweeter pumpkin banana bread, add a glaze or frosting on top. Or if you love a certain spice, such as cinnamon, then add more in.
You’ll instantly have a delicious, fall dessert! This recipe is perfect for fall brunches, tailgates, bake sales, etc. The pumpkin and banana make the bread so moist, it’s definitely a keeper!
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING:
“This is a great recipe! My husband couldn’t stop eating it. He kept sneaking into the kitchen to get more. I followed the recipe and it turned out perfect. Wouldn’t change a thing.” – Sonia
Pumpkin Banana Bread
Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 5 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment. Cream together until combined. Add in eggs, one at a time. Add in canned pumpkin and mix until combined. Add in flour, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir until combined. Stir in ripe bananas (mashed) and vanilla extract until mixed.
- Pour into two regular-sized bread loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Oven times will vary, so insert a knife (or long skewer stick) into center to test for doneness.