Apple Dump Cake with Pecan Topping
If you love dump cakes, you must try this apple dump cake recipe with a delicious pecan topping! It’s so easy to make. Top with vanilla ice cream and you’ll be going back for seconds…
Easy Apple Dump Cake
Many of you have told me that you love easy cake mix recipes, especially during the busy holiday season. I do too!I love easy recipes like this! I just had a baby, so you better believe that I’m pulling out all my *EASY* recipes this holiday season. This one is at the TOP!
This Apple Dump Cake recipe will impress even your mother-in-law! ;) The brown sugar and pecan topping is absolutely to-die-for delicious and the whole dessert is ready to be baked in just a few minutes.
Apple Dump Cake Notes & Recipe Tips
What is a dump cake?
I’ve never loved the name “dump cake,” but it is fairly accurate since you simply “dump” all the ingredients straight into your baking dish and bake! No mixing bowls required! You just need a 9×13 baking dish, but a similar size will work just fine! This recipe is very forgiving.
Does dump cake taste like cobbler or cake?
Dump cake tastes a bit like a mix between a cake and a cobbler – absolutely the best of both worlds! It doesn’t hold it’s shape when scooped so it’s not exactly a cake or pie, so it’s closer to an apple cobbler. You MUST try it!
What are the best apples to use for apple dump cake?
Great question! I recommend these apples for baking: Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, and Pink Lady.
Can you refrigerate apple dump cake?
Absolutely! I store mine in the refrigerator and either reheat in the oven or scoop individual servings to microwave. I usually leave it in the refrigerator no more than 3 days. This apple dump cake also freezes very well.
Apple Dump Cake Baking Tips
- Sprinkle on your spices (cinnamon and nutmeg) and sugar directly over the apples. Then sprinkle on the yellow cake mix (straight from the box) on top of your spices and apples. Use the back of a fork or spoon to gently spread the cake mix evenly over the apples.
- Thinly slice butter and evenly place butter squares over dump cake. You want to slice the butter as thinly as possible so it can almost fully cover the entire dump cake. You can also grate your butter (yes, grate the butter) to evenly distribute it as well, but I’ve found thinly slicing works just as well.
- Top with your mixture of pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- If the pecans begin to get too dark during the baking, just loosely cover your dump cake with aluminum foil and continue cooking. Mine are usually toasted just perfectly at the 1 hour mark.
I love to serve this apple dump cake in a pretty serving dish and top with vanilla ice cream and a caramel drizzle! You can *certainly* serve it straight from the baking dish into a plate or bowl. You don’t have to get fancy, but I love the extra touches during the holidays!
Find the apple dump cake recipe below…
During the warmer months, I love to make a similar recipe – my Peach Dump Cake! You must give it a try too! Definitely let me know if you want more cake mix-based recipes! I have lots I can share!
If you try this apple dump cake recipe, pretty please give it a star rating below! I hope you love it as much as my family!
Easy Apple Dump Cake
- 5-6 Apples (I like Honeycrisp or Granny Smith) - peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 box yellow cake mix - (spice cake also works well)
- 1/2 cup butter - thinly sliced
Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pecans - chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the peeled and sliced apples evenly along bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg and white sugar evenly over the apples.
- Cover the apples with the dry cake mix and use the back of a fork to gently press the cake mix down evenly.
- Arrange the thinly sliced butter squares evenly over the dump cake.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar pecan topping (brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg). Sprinkle evenly over the cake mix.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for one hour. If pecans begin to get too dark, loosely cover baking dish with aluminum foil and finish baking.
- Allow cake to cool at least 10-15 minutes before serving. Serve with a topping of vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzle (optional).
- Feel free to leave out the pecans or swap them for walnuts!
- Refrigerate leftover apple dump cake for 3-5 days.
- Freeze apple dump cake for up to 3 months.
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
Ooh, this looks sooo good. I’m definitely craving some now!
…Do you have any good suggestions for a recipe to replace the box mix? We need to skip some of the synthetic ingredients in the boxes, but I’m happy to stir up and dump equivalent cakemix ingredients! : )
Hi Krystal! I’ll have to play around in the kitchen to work on a non-cake-mix version of this recipe! Stay tuned!
Can’t wait to try this – your peach dump cake recipe was a huge hit with both my family and guests – would highly recommend!
Hi Liz! This recipe is very similar, I know you’ll love it too! SO glad you and your family loved the peach one!
Looking forward to trying this, tonight! We all loved the peach dump cake!
I get excited when I see a dessert in a cup, glass, mug. It’s always just enough for my sweet tooth, and it’s not a big deal when it comes to calories. :)
This was incredible. I had to steal a bite of this from each of my kids, which is considerate considering I was thinking of just eating it all.
So many yummy flavors and textures. I make this recipe every thanksgiving.
This easy apple dump cake recipe is truly amazing! I LOVE this hearty and delicious pecan topping!
Very amazing. It’s considerate that I had to sneak a mouthful of this from each of my children, given that I was planning to eat it all myself!
Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful info!!!! It is so appreciated!!!
Thank you so much for sharing. I have found it extremely helpful.
So many yummy flavors and textures. Thank you so much for sharing.
I love Apple recipes , Thanks for sharing wonderful information…