5 Ways to Celebrate the Kentucky Derby from Home!
While we likely all wish we could be grabbing our hats and hitting the stands to watch the 2017 Kentucky Derby, don’t fret! You can still don your fanciest hat, grab a mint julep, invite some friends over and celebrate from home. So if traveling to Kentucky isn’t in the plans, I’ve got you covered. The 2017 Kentucky Derby is this Saturday, May 6th. Post time for the 2017 Kentucky Derby is set for 6:34 p.m. So now that you have the time down, let’s talk about how you can celebrate at home…
- Whip up a batch of Mint Juleps! The classic Kentucky Derby beverage is one of those “must-haves” for any Derby watching affair. Here are a few of my own favorite mint julep recipes!
Lavender Mint Juleps (+Free Printable Recipe Card)
Classic Mint Julep (I love this recipe from Perpetually Hungry)
2. Decorate with Red Roses! Seeing as it’s called the “Run for the Roses”, you now have full-on permission to grab a dozen or two red roses at the market. Cut them low in silver julep vases (or other low vase) and set around your coffee table or bar cart to have near the TV for viewing!
3. Eat a piece of Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie! It’s the famous sweet treat of the Derby so be sure you have some on hand to enjoy.
Whip up this amazing Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie from New South Food Co.!
4. Place your bets and raise the stakes by handing out bet cards to all your guests! I’m sharing a little tip below!
Easy Party Tip: Instantly download + print these bet cards from Paperie Off Park!
5. Get crafty and DIY some Kentucky Derby Party decorations!
I adore these prize ribbons from Polka Dot Chair, these would be a cute little prize for the winners!
Want more Kentucky Derby party ideas?
- A Kentucky Derby Themed Birthday Party
- Strawberry Basil Juleps for the Kentucky Derby!
- Mint Julep Punch
- Lavender Mint Juleps + Derby Party Ideas!
There you have it! Follow all 5 ideas or just pick your favorites but either way, you’re all set to celebrate the Kentucky Derby right from your own home.
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
Great idea for Kentucky derby party! Thanks for sharing
This looks amazing! I will definately give it a try!
I hope I will manage as I am not a great cook!
I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for newbie blog writers? I’d certainly appreciate it.
I must try! Thanks for posting!
It’s the famous sweet treat of the Derby so be sure you have some on hand to enjoy.
Ohhhh so yummmy this chocolate pie.
Thanks for so sweety post.
I like it, thank you have shared
In my opinion, the issues you raise are still some unclear. I hope in the near future to read more articles from you