Who wants a sweet treat idea for Valentine’s Day? These marshmallow heart cupcakes are super simple and oh so pretty to make for friends or your honey this Valentine’s Day. I love how fancy they look yet they use easy ingredients and not too much time! Win-win! They’re filled with marshmallow cream (or marshmallow fluff as it’s also called) for maximum marshmallow flavor! Then they’re topped with a marshmallow buttercream and a marshmallow heart. Holy moly. Sidenote: Did you know there is a festival called “What the Fluff?” festival in Somerville, MA every year? Obviously, I need to go. With my marshmallow heart cupcakes.
Aren’t they pretty? They kind of remind me of snow which is fitting since 1/4 of the country is covered in it. Why not make these delicious cupcakes if you’re snowed in? Or if you just love marshmallow because they are so delicious! I found the heart marshmallows at my local grocery store (I’ve used them in the past, like these s’mores) so check around in the Valentine’s candy aisle, I’ve seen them around! Or try your hand at making your own, it’s really fun!
Filling them is super easy. Simply use a pairing knife to cut out a round hole in the center of the cupcake (about an inch deep) and pop out the inside. Fill with marshmallow fluff. Ta-da! For the full cupcake and buttercream recipe, keep on scrolling!
So this recipe uses my version of a doctored up cake mix and easy ingredients. This makes it a cinch to make and delicious too. Since I’ve jazzed up the cake mix on this one, ignore the instructions on the back of the box and just follow along with the recipe below! You can certainly make a homemade white cupcake if you prefer!
Marshmallow Heart Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box white cake mix I used Duncan Hines
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or clear vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
For the Filling & Frosting:
- 2 7- ounce containers marshmallow cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- white marshmallow hearts
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine dry cake mix, butter, sour cream, milk, extract, and egg whites. Blend at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds) and then medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Use a small knife to cut out the core of the cupcake and fill with marshmallow cream.
- In an electric mixer, combine butter and remaining marshmallow cream (7 ounces) and cream together for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Add milk. Beat for 2 minutes.
- If you want a thicker consistency, add more powdered sugar. For a looser consistency, add more milk. Keep in mind, a thicker consistency will be easier to pipe.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and top with a marshmallow heart!
If you’re looking for more Valentine’s ideas, I’ve linked a few of my favorites below! I also think these marshmallow cupcakes would make a tasty year-round treat or the perfect wedding cupcake too.