Chocolate Cadbury Egg Easter Cupcakes
Oops, I did it again. I put Cadbury Eggs in a cupcake. I just couldn’t help myself. It’s not the first time. I did it a couple of years ago for these pretty little aqua cupcakes but I decided the world needed a fully chocolate (with caramel) drizzle version that was even easier to make. Enter these Chocolate Cadbury Egg Easter Cupcakes! You can make these with a baby attached to your foot, trust me. They’re oh so decadent and the surprise inside? The yummiest! If you know someone who LOVES Cadbury Eggs, then you definitely need to tell them about these cupcakes…
Baking Cadbury Eggs into cupcakes is really simple, but there are a few little tips I want to tell you so you won’t have any trouble and you’ll be on your way to eating these bad boys STAT! First, freeze your Cadbury Eggs beforehand. The night before or the day before (at least a couple of hours before), just pop your eggs in the freezer. Next, only fill the baking liners 1/4 full of batter. Then place each Cadbury Egg in (wide side first) and top with a tablespoon of batter (it will go over the top and down the sides). Ta-da! This will help the Cadbury Egg bake right inside and not ooze everywhere. Easy easy!
See? They are baked right inside and still hold their shape. You can absolutely make mini cupcakes with the mini Cadbury Eggs too. I haven’t tried the caramel or chocolate eggs, but I’m sure they would work too. If you try them out, let me know in the comments! I chose a cake mix for this recipe because I’m always looking for quick ways to jazz up cake mixes. You can *certainly* make these with your favorite homemade chocolate cake.
Chocolate Cadbury Egg Easter Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package - 3.4 ounces chocolate pudding dry mix
- 24 Cadbury Eggs - frozen
For the Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter - softened
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer for two minutes.
- Fill each baking liner 1/4 full. Set a frozen Cadbury Egg in wide side down into the center of the liner.
- Top each Cadbury Egg with a tablespoon of batter (it will fall around sides).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the sides comes out clean. (Cadbury Egg will be in center).
- Allow to cool.
- For frosting, cream butter and cocoa powder. Add vanilla extract. Alternate heavy cream with powdered sugar until frosting consistency reached. For thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar. For a looser frosting, add more cream (or milk).
- Pipe each cupcake with frosting and drizzle with caramel sauce for a garnish.
I hope you’ll try out these Cadbury Egg Easter Cupcakes!
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
These sounds good but do you use the small eggs are the big ones?
I used the big ones. But if you make the mini size cupcakes, the little ones would be better. :) You could definitely make big ones with little eggs too, if you wanted.
How cute are these cupcakes? It’s like magic that the eggs don’t melt. Thanks for the tips on executing this without a hitch.
These are so stinkin’ cute, Courtney! I know my son would go nuts over these – they look delicious!
That’s great. I just put them on top as a garnish to some lemon cupcakes, but thanks for the recipe for putting them inside. SUPER!!!
Is the pudding mix instant pudding or the cook pudding mix?
Making them today. So cute.
I made these around Easter and got rave reviews from everyone! I’m making them again tomorrow using the Cadbury ‘Screme’ Eggs :-)
Best cupcake recipe I have tried off Pinterest. I used only 3 eggs and a Betty Crocker Chocolate butter cake so I used melted butter in place of the oil. I also replaced the Cadbury eggs with Carmel filled chocolates. This was a winner!
Could I cut eggs in half I could only find 10
Or leave whole and only put 10 in 10 cupcakes leave the rest regular