It’s time for an easy 4th of July dessert that all your guests will love, and this red, white and blue berry tart is PERFECT!
Red, White & Blue Berry Tart
I’m a HUGE 4th of July lover! It’s one of my favorite holidays so bring on all the red, white and blue! Red, white and blueberry in the case of this patriotic 4th of July tart that’s full of delicious berries! You will love this easy recipe that’s perfect for a neighborhood 4th of July party.
While I love pies, I wanted to switch things up and make something a little different this year. Puff pastry is one of my favorite crusts – or bases – to use in recipes. It’s easy to work with and tastes delicious. I chose blueberries and raspberries but you could pick your favorite berries! Create a star shape, stripes, or just mix the berries together for a beautiful presentation. Add a dusting of powdered sugar and watch it disappear – quickly!
Most tarts have a bit of a reputation of being “fussy” but this is not the case here! Even my husband asked me to make this again, and he isn’t a fan of prissy desserts. He LOVED this! The buttery layers of the puff pastry, the sweet cream filling, and sugared berries are the ultimate combination for the 4th!
Grab a box of puff pastry from the freezer section of your grocery store. It usually comes with two sheets in one box. You’ll just need one for this recipe (unless you want to double the recipe). Roll it out and let it thaw for about 20 minutes on the counter.
Then use a sharp knife to score the edges about 1″ in on all sides to create the crust. Brush the edges with an egg wash (1 egg, lightly beaten) and sprinkle with either granulated sugar, Turbinado sugar, or “sparkling sugar” which is what I used! It adds that perfect, sweet sparkle all around the edges.
When the puff pastry is removed from the oven, gently press down the center to create space for your filling and berries. See above! You could truly add any filling at this point, even a savory option, but since I wanted to share a patriotic idea with y’all, I chose raspberries and blueberries.
I highly encourage you to let the kids help out with this step since it’s an easy one! I always love to have my daughter in the kitchen with me, especially if a recipe has a simple step for her. Decorating the tart with berries is perfect!
Isn’t it perfect for the Fourth of July? If you want to prep in advance, mix the filling and refrigerate and your berries washed and ready to go! Then all you need to do is bake your puff pastry and “assemble” before enjoying.
You know I love sharing twists on every recipe I share, so if you wanted to make miniature red white and blue berry tarts, just use a knife to cut out small squares from the puff pastry. Repeat the same method (scoring the edges and pressing the center down) to make individual tarts for guests! You could also use round cookie cutters to make round tarts. Lots of options!
Red White and Berry Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar - (or turbinado sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Unfold the sheet of puff pastry and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Measuring 1-inch in, use a sharp knife to "score" an edge to the puff pastry. Do not cut all the way through.
- Lightly beat egg and brush the 1-inch crust "border" with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar (granulated, turbinado, or sparkling sugar).
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Gently press center down to create space for filling and berries.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together softened cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread filling into center of pastry and top with fresh berries.
- Dust with extra powdered sugar (optional). Serve and enjoy!
Check out my July 4th page for even more patriotic party ideas and recipes!