This low-carb, easy chicken and spinach bake is one of my family’s favorite weeknight meals!
CHEESY CHICKEN AND SPINACH BAKE
You recently requested more savory recipes, and I aim to please! Whether you’re looking for the perfect crowd-pleasing entree for a party or a cozy dish for the family during a busy week, this cheesy chicken and spinach bake is the winner!
I love comfort foods, especially when it’s frigid outside, so I wanted to share this easy recipe with y’all! I’ve also tried to make it as “skinny” as possible for anyone sticking to those New Year’s resolutions! I got you! It’s low on carbs, but not on flavor. ;)
I love chicken and spinach casserole dishes, but I often find many include pasta as the main component. The pasta could have been left out to save calories without compromising on taste. That’s why this cheesy chicken and spinach bake was born. It’s comforting, full of flavor, and easy to make.
I usually have my daughter needing something, two dogs barking away, and a phone beeping with emails. This is a dish that I can pull together in minutes and pop in the oven. These are also the best type of entrees for parties when you’re finishing the last minute hostess duties before guests arrive.
Chicken & Spinach Bake Tips
- I use plain greek yogurt in this recipe, but you’re welcome to use sour cream if you prefer.
- I love white meat from a rotisserie chicken (about 2 1/2 cups) but you can use any shredded or cubed chicken you prefer.
- Swap in frozen spinach but just be sure to drain out any excess moisture. I used fresh spinach that I steamed, but I still had to press the spinach between paper towels to get out extra moisture.
- Make it your own! Love onion? Add more. Love mushrooms? Add some in! Artichokes would also be a delicious addition that I plan to try soon! I even heard from an Instagram follower that she put her own twist on this recipe by leaving out the onion and topping it with French fried onions instead! You can also use another type of cheese if you prefer – like mozzarella, Monterey jack, etc.
- Love the crispy browned cheese on top? Switch your oven to broil for about 2 minutes at the end of baking, just watch carefully that it doesn’t burn.
- You can also prep ahead of time, cover and refrigerate the baking dish, and bake when ready!
- If you prepare it as I’ve done, each individual serving (I get about 4-5 servings) is just 1 gram of Carbs. AMAZING!
Cheesy Chicken and Spinach Bake
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken - shredded or cubed
- 2/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Steam spinach and drain excess water, pressing with paper towels to remove moisture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine greek yogurt, mayonnaise, both cheeses, onion, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Spray a baking dish (9×13 or similar) with nonstick cooking spray. Spread half of cheese mixture onto bottom of pan. Top with chicken and spinach. Add rest of cheese mixture on top, spreading evenly.
- Optional: sprinkle extra Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Optional: Broil for 2 minutes for a crispy, browned top.
P.S. If you’re looking for the perfect salad to pair with this cheesy chicken and spinach bake, here are 6 salads I love! AND if you also love those marble plates seen in my pictures, here are similar ones on Amazon!