This post is a collaboration with Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner. on behalf of the Beef Checkoff. I received compensation, but all opinions are my own.
Fire up the grill, it’s time for Grilled Steak Sliders elevated with a delicious BBQ marinade and topped with fresh Southern coleslaw. There’s not much better than that sizzle, smell and taste of steak on the grill, so let me show you to make this party pleasing dish!
Tender and juicy steak marinated in a delicious barbecue marinade and grilled to perfection, sliced thin and set on a fluffy brioche bun and topped with crunchy Southern coleslaw? YES, PLEASE!
What I love about these sliders in addition to the fact that they’re DELISH is that they’re perfectly portioned for parties and get-togethers. Bigger isn’t always better!
My family especially loves making Steak sliders for our July 4th celebration. Everyone loves them, they’re ready in minutes and perfect for pairing with our other July 4th faves: American Flag Fruit Skewers and Vidalia Onion Dip!
What’s the best cut of Beef for Grilled Steak Sliders?
Skirt Steak is my first choice because it’s really flavorful and typically cost effective so it’s a great choice if you’re serving up a lot of these Grilled Steak Sliders for friends and family at backyard parties, BBQs, game days or even just a quick weeknight meal!
I encourage you to try out these sliders with your favorite cuts. I also highly recommend a juicy Flat Iron or Flank Steak too!
Tips for Grilling Steak
- Keep one thing in mind when you’re grilling steak this summer, temperature is KING! Medium and steady will win the race, so don’t crank the heat too high.
- Be sure you’re using a good meat thermometer to achieve the ideal temperature.
- Let your steak rest for about 5 minutes before slicing it (against the grain) for your sliders. This will ensure you lock in those flavorful juices!
Grilled BBQ Steak Marinade Details
The BBQ marinade for these Steak Sliders is so flavorful and really kicks these grilled steak sliders up a notch. It’s so simple to make, uses kitchen staples and you can even change up the flavor by using different barbecue sauces (think smoky, spicy, sweet).
While the flavor of the grilled steak in this BBQ marinade is so delicious, I love adding a topping on my sliders and a Southern-style coleslaw is my favorite addition on these Grilled Steak Sliders. Find my recipe for the coleslaw at the end of the post or check out additional topping ideas below!
Grilled Steak Slider Topping Ideas
- Caramelized Onion
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Sautéed Mushrooms, Peppers, Onions and Cheese (Philly Cheesesteak Style)
- Lettuce, Arugula
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Pimento Cheese
What are the best buns for Sliders?
I love to use a brioche roll as buns for these steak sliders, but you could use a traditional hamburger slider bun as well. Check your grocery’s bakery section for a selection of small rolls that would work well for these too! You can even make your own mini buns like I did for my mini cheeseburgers!
Party Tips for these Grilled Steak Sliders
- This recipe makes 12 sliders but can easily be doubled if you’re serving a larger crowd!
- Set it up bar-style! Slice up the grilled steak on a platter, set out the buns and toppings. Let each guest build their ultimate Grilled Steak Slider to their tastes and preferences.
- Save time and prep any toppings (like the coleslaw) ahead of time and keep refrigerated until it’s party time!
More Delicious Beef Ideas
Whether you’re hosting a July 4th cookout or just looking for an easy weeknight meal, these Grilled Steak Sliders are sure to be a delicious addition to your summer grilling menu!
Grilled Steak Sliders
- 1 lb. Skirt Steak - trimmed
- 12 slider buns
- ¼ cup additional barbecue sauce - optional
For the BBQ Marinade
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Coleslaw:
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- ¼ medium red onion - thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Combine barbecue marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Place the steak into a sealable bag and add in marinade. Massage the bag until Steak is fully coated in the marinade. Lay bag flat in the refrigerator for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade and discard remaining marinade. Heat grill to medium-high. Place steak on the grill and cook until optimal doneness. For medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, cook about 4 to 6 minutes, flip once and continue cooking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Keep in mind the internal temperature will continue to rise for a few minutes after coming off the grill.
- Allow the meat to rest before slicing. Just five minutes will do the trick to lock in the tasty juices.
- While resting meat, combine coleslaw ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Thinly slice skirt steak. Slice open each slider roll. Top with steak strips, coleslaw and if desired, an extra drizzle of your favorite barbecue sauce.