An easy and delicious recipe for mini apple walnut galettes drizzled with a tasty caramel sauce!
While I absolutely love the summer, there is something so magical about getting ready to usher in the fall season. Though we’re not quite there yet, just the idea of fall desserts on the horizon was enough for me to whip up these Mini Apple Walnut Galettes in anticipation of cool, autumn days! They are drizzled with an insanely easy and delicious caramel sauce that will instantly become your favorite!
What I really love about these mini apple walnut galettes is how much they taste like apple crumbles. My father’s favorite dessert is an apple crumble, so I guarantee he will love these miniature versions. I can’t wait to make them for him! The brown sugar and cinnamon pair so well with the California Walnuts to create the tastiest topping for these pastry galettes.
I chose puff pastry instead of a traditional pie crust because there is just nothing better than the buttery, flaky crust of puff pastry. You could even pass this sweet treat off as an addition to a brunch or breakfast gathering. They will – no doubt – wow your friends and family! They look like you worked all day on them, but they’re genuinely so easy.
You can easily tailor the flavors to your preferences. Follow my recipe exactly or adjust it. If you love nutmeg, add some in addition to the cinnamon. Love pears in the fall? Slice some pears in with the apples. You’ll want to increase our cooking time, but you could also make larger galettes as well.
I love to serve these mini apple galettes with a drizzle of caramel sauce, but if you really want to get decadent, add a miniature scoop of vanilla bean ice cream for an out-of-this-world dessert!
My mini galettes were about 4 inches across. I was able to cut out 4 from a single puff pastry sheet which means you could get 8 out of a package of two puff pastry sheets. You can easily make larger or smaller sized galettes, just watch carefully while baking. You want the puff pastry to be the perfect “golden brown”.
Mini Apple Walnut Galettes
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 3 Granny Smith apples thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup butter divided
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut out circles from puff pastry using a round cookie cutter. I cut out 4" circles for my mini galettes.
- Pierce the center of the pastry with a fork and use a knife to score an inner edge to the pastry circles to create a crust.
- Cut up the butter into small diced cubes. Place one cube in the center of each pastry square along with a pinch of brown sugar.
- Place apple slices on top of the butter/brown sugar. Repeat with each galette.
- Add another butter cube, pinch of brown sugar, and dash of cinnamon on top of the apples.
- Top each galette with crumbled walnuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Watch carefully as ovens vary.
- To make caramel sauce, bring 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter, cornstarch, and 1/4 cup milk to a gentle boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Allow to cook, boiling, for 1-2 minutes to thicken sauce. Remove from heat and add in vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Drizzle over apple walnut galettes.
This post is sponsored by the California Walnut Board. Thanks for supporting our partners!