This squash casserole recipe is a family favorite! We love it as a side or an easy weeknight meal!
You might have noticed that I’ve been sharing more recipes with y’all, and I’m loving it! A few months ago, I asked (over on Instagram) about what type of content all of you would love to see here on Pizzazzerie. My family’s favorite recipes were at the top of the list!
The tablescapes and party ideas won’t be going anywhere, but it’s not a party without great food, so I’m going to be sharing more of my favorite recipes with all of you. I’ve always shared recipes, but I hope to be able to share even more now that my little one will be in pre-school, and I’ll have more time on my hands. Hooray!
Next on the list isn’t necessarily a stunner of a recipe, but boy is it GOOD! I mean REALLY GOOD. My husband is an ice cream junkie, but he actually helped himself to a second serving of this squash casserole instead of ice cream for dessert. WHAT. EVEN. However, I’m not that surprised because I get the obsession. This casserole is so good. It’s the perfect Southern side dish, especially when you have leftover squash to use!
YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH
This squash casserole recipe uses summer squash – the yellow curved-neck variety of squash – that peak in the summer months. I have yet to try it with other squash, but I will add it to the list and see if it turns out just as amazing as the summer squash variety. The good news is that yellow squash are found almost year-round in the grocery store so you can whip up this squash casserole anytime your heart desires.
Like I mentioned, it just looks like a typical “casserole” but you can jazz it up with sprinkling it with diced chives. Don’t worry though, as soon as you taste it, you’ll see why I was adamant about sharing this recipe! It’s perfect to pair with a piece of grilled meat for a summer barbecue or easy weeknight meal. We love to make it alongside creamed corn cornbread too!
You can use your favorite stuffing mix for this recipe. Any brand will do, and you can choose plain or savory herb variety. It’s all delicious! What makes this squash casserole so good is the squash and sour cream mixture. It’s creamy, flavorful, and pure perfection!
- 8 yellow squash - medium, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons onion - chopped
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1/2 can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick), melted
- 1 box stuffing mix (plain or savory herb)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash and cut squash into bite-sized pieces.
- Place squash, onion, and chicken broth into a stovetop pot. Add enough water to cover squash. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 20 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- Drain liquid and toss in the soup and sour cream and stir until squash is coated.
- Mix the butter and stuffing mix and spoon about half of the mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with the squash and then spoon the rest of the stuffing on top of the squash. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 20 minutes and then uncover and bake for 5 more minutes.
Looking for more of my favorite Southern recipes? Check out…