Football is on, the family has gathered, and it’s time to enjoy the Thanksgiving holidays! So much of Thanksgiving is geared towards the “big meal”, the turkey, and the desserts. What we often forget are all the times spent enjoying company the day before Thanksgiving and leading up to the feast. Avoid lots of onlookers in the kitchen hoping for “just a bite” of the fixings by offering up a tasty appetizer to enjoy, like this Turkey Spinach & Artichoke Dip!
I love serving dips because they’re easy to make, great for a crowd, and simple to reheat the next day. This Thanksgiving dip is inspired by my favorite spinach and artichoke dip. You could easily make this with leftover turkey after Thanksgiving or use extra turkey the days leading up to Thursday. However you enjoy this dip, it’s the perfect crowd-pleaser for turkey day!
Turkey Spinach + Artichoke Dip
- 1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 8-ounce block cream cheese
- ½ white onion - diced
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups diced turkey
- ½ teaspoon season salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine all ingredients, and stir together. Bake for 20 minutes or until warm. If you want to serve in a sliced gourd as seen in the images, follow these steps.
- Select a wide gourd and use a knife to carefully slice in half. Also, cut the bottom of the gourd if it will not sit level on a flat surface. Use a spoon or fork to scoop out the seeds and carve out room for the dip.
- Fill up your gourd with the dip and place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Bake as usual, the gourd will soften slightly but still hold the dip!
- Serve with bread rounds, bread sticks, chips, sliced vegetables, etc! Everyone will love this classic dip recipe with a Thanksgiving twist.
This dip recipe is extremely versatile. You can swap in and out your favorite flavors to make it your own!
Spicy Turkey Spinach Artichoke Dip: Add 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper (more to taste)
Turkey Spinach Onion Dip: Increase onion to 1 full onion and remove artichoke
Cheddar Turkey Spinach Artichoke Dip: Add ¼ cup shredded cheddar on top of dip before baking
Another use for this tasty turkey spinach and artichoke dip? Spread it on sourdough bread (or your favorite bread) with extra sliced turkey and press in a panini maker (or just a frying pan) for a delicious hot sandwich!