We like to refer to our house as the “drop by” house. On the regular I will get a text or phone call from one of my sweet friends saying they are just going to “drop by” for a minute. I absolutely LOVE to entertain and given plenty of time I will plan out the menu, decor, etc, but casual drop-ins can be a bit tricky, so it is nice to have a some good go-to snacks and drinks on hand for these impromptu get togethers. I think it goes without saying that keeping a stash of artisinal cheeses and crackers along with a bottle of Prosecco (local favorite), tangy white wine such as Lonely Cow Sauvignon Blanc and perhaps an Argentine Malbec or California Pinot Noir, will pretty much cover the crow Id.I also like to put out something warm and maybe a little more filling to complement the cheese and crackers. Of course it has to be quick and easy and made with simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand.
I am, as most of us are these days, Pinterest obsessed and found this DELICIOUS recipe for Baked Brie Bites originally posted on Plain Chicken, that are not only extremely tasty, but easy to make and have quickly become my go-to snack for my unannounced guests. The combination of sweet ingredients with the creamy brie make this a crowd favorite.
- 1 package of mini fillo shells
- 4 oz President Camembert (or Brie) (The other half can be set out on your cheese plate at room temperature)
- Chopped pecans
- Brown Sugar
- Local Honey
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a small piece of cheese in each cup. Add a dollop of honey, a sprinkle of pecans (about 1/4-1/2 tsp), and a sprinkle of brown sugar (about 1/4 tsp).
Place on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes.
Move bites to a platter, serve and enjoy.
Sometimes last minute get togethers can be the best and with a good list of go-tos it can be thrown together quickly and still appear planned and effortless. Other useful items to pick up and keep on hand for a “party in a pinch”:
- Small plates (These can be found at most stores like TJ Maxx or Kohl’s. For Christmas one year my sister gave me a set of 8 plain white appetizer plates that she personalized with an “H” using her Cricket machine.)
- Fun cocktail napkins. Mik Wright is my personal favorite with the throwback photos and gut busting captions. Here is one of my all-time favorites and oh so appropriate for my gal pals.
- A good stash of wine glasses, big and small.
- Simple white platters in several shapes and sizes. A footed platter is always nice to add dimension to your cheese and cracker display.
- Several cheese cutters and spreaders.