GREEN CHILE CHEESE BITES
Hi, friends! I know it’s been quiet here, but I’m back! My husband and I spent last week in Jamaica, and we fully unplugged. It was glorious. You’ll see some Jamaican-inspired recipes coming to the blog soon. We climbed waterfalls, zip-lined, snorkeled, and ate our way through Jamaica. Now that I’m back in Nashville, I’ve been dreaming of the entire reason I watch the upcoming Super Bowl – the food! These Green Chile Cheese Bites are perfect for the Super Bowl or any time you want an easy and delicious appetizer. We even ate these for dinner with a side salad, and it was the perfect meal.
You can use hot or mild diced green chiles so pick the one you prefer. Clearly if you have little ones enjoying these, opt for mild. If you love a bite though, go for the hot! My husband loves all things spicy so we love the hot green chiles. Each summer, he grows several different types of peppers so I look forward to trying these out with homegrown peppers this summer. Meanwhile, I’m thankful for canned green chiles so you can enjoy this all year-long.
Pair these with mini cheeseburgers for the Super Bowl appetizer duo. The Super Bowl really is all about the food right? And the commercials. Except I feel like the commercials used to be better. Am I right? Do you feel that way? Here’s hoping we have some good commercials this year. If not, at least we’ll have amazing food, right?
PREP AHEAD APPETIZER
If you’re looking to save a little time, prep the filling for these green chile cheese bites the day before. Refrigerate until ready to fill your fillo shells. You can also use pie crust for this recipe. Simply cut out 2″ (give or take) circles from the pie crust and press them down into a mini-muffin pan. They’ll taste just as amazing! I just happen to hoard these mini fillo shells because they’re so easy to stock up on for last-minute entertaining.
When I was polling followers about the types of content you most wanted to see on Pizzazzerie for 2018, more savory appetizers was on the list! So I hope you love these Green Chile Cheese Bites as much as I do! They’re easy, perfect for a party, and absolutely delicious!
Green Chile Cheese Bites
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup finely shredded Four Cheese Mexican cheese - or sharp cheddar
- 1 can - 4 oz finely diced green chiles (hot or mild), drained
- 45 fillo shells - or 45 pie crust rounds in mini muffin tin
- Beat eggs until light and frothy
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to eggs and mix well to combine. Fold in cheeses and chiles.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of mixture into each fillo shell (or pie crust round).
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes.