This is the best chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe! It’s creamy, full of fudgy chocolate flavor and perfect for decorating cookies, cakes, brownies and more desserts!
I am a serious frostings lover – I even wrote a book on Frostings! So you can bet that I have made and recipe tested a million frosting recipes.
This chocolate cream cheese frosting is a new recipe that I am so excited about. It morphed for my love of cream cheese frosting and chocolate buttercream. Behold…perhaps my new favorite frosting for cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and spoons…
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
If you love cream cheese and you love chocolate, this easy frosting recipe is for you. There’s nothing fussy about it, and it’s ready in minutes. That’s my kind of frosting. You can store in the refrigerator (just re-whip it before piping) for up to a week in an airtight container.
P.S. If you’re in a hurry and want to make canned chocolate frosting taste like homemade, then this hack is for you!
Chocolate cream cheese frosting is absolutely perfect on any cake flavor from yellow cake to red velvet or plain ol’ chocolate for a double whammy chocolate flavor. Now we’re talking, right? That would be the ultimate chocolate cake!
The cream cheese gives the frosting a richness that you will love! It just has that little “something extra” compared to typical chocolate frosting. You will know what I’m talking about when you taste it!
Tips for Making Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Room temperature butter. Simply set out your butter at least an hour before using.
- Room temperature cream cheese. Same thing, set it out at least an hour before using.
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder. Seems crazy but there is plenty of sweetness from the powdered sugar!
- Allow baked goods (cupcakes, cake, cookies) to completely cool before frosting.
- If your chocolate cream cheese frosting is too thick to pipe, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until you’re able to pipe frosting.
- If frosting is too loose, add 1/2 cup powdered sugar at a time until thick enough to pipe.
- When beating the cream cheese and butter, be sure you beat it for at least 2 minutes to get out any lumps.
This frosting will make enough to frost 24 cupcakes or 1 8-9″ cake. You might want to consider doubling the recipe if you like to do either very tall piped cupcakes or you plan to make a larger cake.
So if you’re searching for a homemade cream cheese frosting recipe, but want a little something “extra”, this chocolate cream cheese frosting will do the trick! I hope you love it as much as I do!
For more sweet recipes, check out the links below:
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick), room temp.
- 8 ounces cream cheese - (brick style), room temp.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar - (1 lb)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder - (unsweetened)
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in salt and vanilla extract and beat for additional minute.
- Stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and add to mixer in 1 cup increments until fully incorporated.