This is the absolute best homemade tomato soup recipe! It uses fresh tomatoes, and it’s ready in under an hour. This tomato soup is perfect for weeknight meals or serving to friends at your next party!
Homemade Tomato Soup
Now that we have said goodbye to summer and ushered in fall, it’s time for soup season! I love the cozy autumn evenings that are just made for homemade tomato soup. It’s also one of my husband’s favorite soups, especially when paired with grilled cheese! Hopefully, if you’ve found yourself here, you’re also a tomato soup fan. Welcome! Get ready for your new favorite recipe.
My love for tomato soup didn’t start out when I was young. I actually didn’t grow to love it until I was in college at Vanderbilt and our sorority house (go Chi-O!) served the most amazing tomato soup on Monday evenings at our chapter meetings. I lived for tomato soup night. This recipe reminds me so much of that tomato soup.
Like all the recipes I share, I want to give you ways to tailor it to your favorite flavors.
- To make a spicy tomato soup, use “spicy hot” V8 juice in place of regular.
- For a stronger basil flavor, add an extra 2 tablespoons and garnish with extra chopped basil.
- Love a creamier tomato soup? Add more cream. You can’t go wrong with this recipe!
Now, this tomato soup recipe calls for using fresh tomatoes. It makes a world of difference. It’s supplemented with V8 or tomato juice, however, to give it a fullness. As for the fresh tomatoes, use whichever kind you prefer. We love to make this with heirloom tomatoes when they’re available but any tomato (I love Romas also) will do just fine!
One thing I really love about this tomato soup recipe is the chunks of onion, celery, and tomato. It gives it a bit of a heartier consistency than a full broth-style tomato soup. If you actually prefer that, then use an immersion blender and fully blend until smooth.
Let’s talk garnishes! Whether you’re making this tomato soup for a quick weeknight meal or serving it at a dinner party, garnishes are a must! Here are my favorites:
Tomato Soup Garnishes
- Chopped Basil
- Crumbled Bacon
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Crostinis/Grilled Cheese (cut small and add right on top of your soup)
I love serving this tomato soup for my family as a weeknight meal (it reheats beautifully), but it’s also wonderful for a crowd. If you’re hosting a group for a game night, holiday gatherings, you name it! You can rewarm it in a crock pot and set up garnishes and grilled cheeses.
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups V8 juice (plain or spicy)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot, saute onions in olive oil until they're transparent.
- Add all additional ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve with grilled cheese, ham biscuits, or enjoy on its own!
I hope you’ll try this soup soon! If you’re looking for more of my favorite soup recipes, check out these below!