A bubbling hot baked Vidalia Onion Dip with cream cheese and cheddar cheese makes the easiest crowd-pleasing appetizer dip!
This sweet Vidalia onion dip will instantly become a new favorite appetizer dip, trust me! The sharp white cheddar cheese balances the sweetness of the Vidalia onion to make the perfect dip. It’s one of the easiest appetizers too.
With only 4 ingredients + black pepper, it’s also an EASY appetizer. You can grab the ingredients and keep on hand.
Vidalia Onion Dip FAQ
What is special about Vidalia Onions?
Let’s talk about this fabulous sweet onion! They’re called Vidalia Onions because they’re historically grown in the Georgia town of Vidalia.
They’re now grown in one of 20 South Georgia counties outlined by the Federal Marketing Order No. 955. It’s all very official, you see, because Vidalia onions are grown from a seed variety that’s tested for 3 years to meet standards. They’re sweet (some even eat them like apples although I’ve yet to try this) and oh so delicious in all sorts of recipes.
The Vidalia onion season typically runs from mid-April through the beginning of September, so keep your eyes out for them at the grocery store in the product section. Vidalia onions will be specifically labeled.
Can I substitute a sweet onion in this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute a sweet onion! While it won’t officially be “Vidalia onion dip”, it’ll still be delicious sweet onion and cheese dip. You see, all Vidalias are sweet onions but not all sweet onions are Vidalias.
How long do Vidalia Onions last?
Vidalia onions will last 1-2 months on the counter (if kept cool and separated) or 3-6 months in the veggie bin of your refrigerator. You can also chop and then freeze them to enjoy this dip all year-round!
Tips for Making Vidalia Onion Dip
- You really don’t want to skimp and buy pre-shredded cheese for this dip. Grate your own cheddar, trust me, with only a few ingredients, you want high quality cheese! Here’s a grater if you don’t have one!
- I love extra sharp or sharp white cheddar cheese, but you can change the cheeses around. Try parmesan, milk cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack, etc.
- It doesn’t matter if you finely dice or just chop your Vidalian onion. It softens while baking and you won’t end up with too big of an onion bite, as long as it’s at least chopped.
- Make your life easier and get an onion chopper!
- The dip will be thick when spreading it into the baking dish. Don’t worry, it’ll be perfectly scoopable when the cream cheese and cheddar cheese melt all together!
This Vidalia Onion dip is truly just mixing all the ingredients together and spreading into your favorite ramekins or baking dish. When it’s golden and bubbly, it’s ready! For most, that will be around 25 minutes at 375F.
What to serve with Vidalia Onion Dip
- Bagel Chips
- Pita Chips
- Tortilla Chips
- Toast Rounds
- Tortilla Chips
- Celery, Carrots, Broccoli, other veggies, etc.
- Baguette Rounds
In the past, I’ve made this Vidalia dip makes a fabulous 4th of July appetizer. I paired the dip with blue corn tortilla chips, red pepper strips, and cute star-shaped tortilla chips that I made myself.
To make the star tortilla chips: Simply take flour tortillas and a star cutter and go to town! Bake at 350F for a few minutes (not long, watch as they start to golden). Then remove and you’re ready!
I think this is a clever way to get in that “red,white, and blue” and they all pair perfectly with this baked Vidalia onion dip! It makes the perfect 4th of July appetizer recipe!
I’m warning you, you’ll want to double the batch of this Vidalia Onion Dip because it’s that good!
This Vidalia onion dip is creamy, full of cheddar flavor and absolutely delicious!
Baked Vidalia Onion Dip
- 2 Vidalia Onions - diced or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese - freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°f.
- Combine all ingredients until mixed thoroughly. Place in an ovenproof baking or casserole dish.
- Bake the Vidalia dip for 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling hot!
- Serve hot with pita chips, bagel chips, toast rounds, cracker, tortilla chips, veggies, etc.