Chocolate Chip Dessert Cheese Ball
Turn the retro cheese ball into a chocolate chip dessert for all to enjoy! This chocolate chip cheese ball is simple to make and tastes like chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake!
I love cheese balls. Yes, a bit retro but they’re coming back for a reason. They’re SO simple to make, easy to prep in advance of a party, and serve a crowd. What’s not to love?
Most cheese balls are savory (speaking of, you must try this ranch cheese ball) but why not make a dessert cheese ball? Yes, I’m talking Chocolate Chip Dessert Cheese Ball. It is *heavenly*!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this chocolate chip dessert cheese ball!
- Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Powdered Sugar (aka Confectioner’s Sugar)
- Brown Sugar (light or dark brown sugar, either one – I used light)
- Cream Cheese
- Vanilla Extract
- Chopped Pecans (optional)
That’s IT! Now, don’t forget all the delicious cookies and fruit slices for dipping.
How to Make a Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
- Using a food processor or mixer, combine softened (room temperature) full-fat cream cheese (this is key, it makes it easy to mix together) along with softened butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
- If your cheese ball filling is super soft, add more powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Once combined, use a spatula to flip out the cheese ball mixture onto a layer of plastic wrap on your counter.
- Spritz clean hands with a quick spray of nonstick cooking spray to help form the chocolate chip cheese ball mixture into a ball shape.
- Lay it on the plastic wrap and carefully fold the sides of the wrap around the ball. Now you can apply more pressure to help shape it into that perfect ball shape!
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (I usually leave it overnight). In a pinch? Pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- On a shallow plate, spread out mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator and unwrap. Roll it in the chocolate chip and nut coating until evenly coated, gently pressing the toppings in if needed.
Above is a photo of the shallow plate filled with mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans and the cheese ball right out of the refrigerator. You just carefully roll it in the toppings, gently pressing extra on until it is covered!
What to Serve with a Chocolate Chip Dessert Cheese Ball
Here are my favorite treats to serve with this chocolate chip cheese ball.
- Graham Crackers (break down into small rectangles)
- Chocolate Graham Crackers
- Scooby Snacks
- Animal Crackers
- Nilla Wafers
- Apple Slices
- Pear Slices
- Shortbread Cookies
The possibilities are endless. You could even pre-scoop the dessert ball filling into phyllo cups and serve for an easy bite sized chocolate chip cheese ball treat.
Recipes Tips & Substitutions
I always like to give a few tips and substitutions! This helps you tweak the recipe to your favorite flavors and ingredients on hand…
Cream Cheese & Butter – You really want to opt for full-fat cream cheese and butter (rather than margarine) so the cheese ball sets up in a ball shape. Skip the low fat this time!
More Dessert Cheese Ball Coating & Filling Ideas – Here are more ideas for adding to the filling and the outside coating of your dessert cheese ball!
- Peanut Butter Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Heath Bar Pieces (find these near chocolate chips in the baking aisle)
- Crushed Oreo Cookies
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Shredded Coconut
- Chopped Walnuts
- Chopped Pistachios
Serve up this dessert cheese ball the next time you need an easy party dessert! It reminds me SO much of a mix between chocolate chip cookie dough and chocolate chip cheesecake. It’s absolutely delicious!
Want more delicious party recipes? Try these favorites below:
- Easy Cream Cheese Cookies
- The BEST Homemade Brownies (you’ll never make box mix again)
- Funfetti Cookies (from scratch!)
If you try this dessert cheese ball, be sure to tag and share a photo with me! I can’t wait to see yours!
Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
For the Dessert Cheese Ball Filling
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese - softened slightly
- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick), softened slightly
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Dessert Cheese Ball Coating
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- graham cracker sticks
- vanilla wafers
- fruit slices (apple, pear, etc)
- Using a food processor, standing mixer or in a large mixing bowl, combine together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat until blended.
- Add in mini chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Form the chocolate chip cream cheese mixture into a ball shape. If filling is too soft, add several more tablespoons of powdered sugar to firm it up.
- Lay out a piece of plastic wrap and add the ball on top. Fold up the plastic wrap around the cheese ball and further mold into a ball.
- Place the wrapped cheese ball in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (or freezer for 30 minutes if in a pinch).
- In a shallow dish or plate, stir together the topping/coating for the cheese ball: mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator, unwrap it and roll it in the coating. Gently press on the chocolate chips and pecans until fully covered.
- Serve your chocolate chip dessert cheese ball with an assortment of graham cracker sticks, vanilla wafers, apple slices, vanilla cookies, etc.
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
I added some M&Ms on it to make it more colorful. I made it yesterday when my friend visited. Thanks for the recipe!
Oh, that looks so declicious. I’m drooling. I will make these for my boys for sure.
To spice it up, I sprinkled on some M&Ms. It was perfect for my friend’s visit yesterday, which is when I made it. You’ve been quite helpful with the recipe.
After visiting this web page i have tried to make chocolate chip cheese balls at my home and believe me it was marvelous. I would like to get pineapple creamy pie s recipe please share.
Your essay was enjoyable to read. I really anticipate your upcoming post. Best wishes for the future upgrade! This post is extremely engaging and efficient.