Whenever the chocolate craving strikes (hello, daily!), I have the perfect recipe for you. Homemade Brownies – from scratch!
Now, before you tell me that the box brownies are so much faster and tastes amazing, you’re right. I don’t deny that. I love a good brownie mix. But this homemade brownie recipe makes the most gooey, chocolate brownies that I’m fairly confident will become your favorite! They might just look like plain brownies in the pics, but they are SO GOOD!
They’re not that much more time-consuming to make either. You also only end up with a saucepan and one mixing bowl for dishes. You know how everyone has that one chore they just loathe? Laundry? Vacuuming? It’s dishes for me, which is sort of bad considering my job, but I power through. ;)
TIPS FOR HOMEMADE BROWNIES
When buying your cocoa powder, be sure to buy unsweetened cocoa powder. Sounds confusing, but trust the process, these brownies are sweet (but not too sweet)! You can often find dark cocoa powder as well, which I’m sure would be delicious too.
I make these brownies in a 9 by 13 pan (lined with parchment paper). This makes it a lot easier to cut out your brownie squares. If you’ve ever bought the little pop-up parchment paper sheets from the grocery store, you know how life-changing they are! Look for them!
MAKE YOUR HOMEMADE BROWNIES EVEN MORE AMAZING
- Let’s talk about chocolate chips. I always like to enhance chocolate desserts with extra chocolate chips. Life is short. For these brownies, I use mini chocolate chips, but you can certainly use any kind you prefer!
- Add in candy bars between layers of the brownie batter for an even more decadent dessert.
- Frost the top of your brownies with a chocolate frosting or glaze once they’ve cooled.
Try to resist eating all the brownie batter (it’s amazing, I know), or else you won’t get to enjoy these “better than box mix” brownies. They’re so gooey and full of chocolate flavor!
Gooey chocolate brownies made from scratch!
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add sugar and stir until just combined.
Remove from heat and pour into heat-proof mixing bowl. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and stir until combined.
Stir in cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and flour until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
Spread brownie batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Don’t over-bake.
I cut these homemade brownies into about 24 squares which I think was perfect. You could certainly make more servings by cutting smaller squares or go big with bakery-style larger brownies.
I highly encourage you make brownies from scratch now, you can control your ingredients more, and you’ll find they’re just as delicious as box mix brownies.
For more delicious chocolate recipes, check out:
- Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
- Angus Barn Chocolate Chess Pie
- German Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie