How to Make Your Own Funnel Cakes!
If you’ve ever dreamed of making your own funnel cakes without having to head to a carnival or fair, you’re in luck! This funnel cake recipe will make all your dreams come true!
Funnel Cake Recipe
A wise person once said, “There are two types of people in this world: people who love fried food and people who won’t admit they love fried food.” I couldn’t agree more and I will openly admit, I love fried food!
I’ve always loved the idea of making hot funnel cakes for guests at a party, but the thought of hot oil splashing everywhere, making a huge disaster in front of my guests was a little intimidating. Until, I found this great recipe and finally got up the nerve to try it. They are so easy to make and absolutely delicious!
These funnel cakes would also be fun for a carnival-themed party! You could have a toppings station for guests filled with all their favorites like chocolate chips, strawberries, and of course – sprinkles for the little ones!
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups oil - for frying
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a deep skillet. Here's a hint to test the temperature of the oil. Simply drop a pinch of flour into the hot oil. If it sizzles right away (without smoking), then your oil temperature is perfect.
- Beat egg and milk. In a separate bowl, mix all of the other ingredients and slowly add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth.
- Using a funnel, drop the batter into the hot oil, working from the center outwards, create a spiral and then a web-like pattern on top of it. TIP: Use a plastic ketchup bottle. Or you could use a gallon bag and cut the corner off.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar and serve hot!
I hope you’ll try out this funnel cake recipe! Let me know what you think!
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
Oh my goodness, yum! I get funnel cake once a year at a local Italian festival. I might be making my own, now!
Yum that looks so good! We went to a little fair type thing this weekend and it was all I could do to resist the smell of the funnel cake.