If you’ve ever dreamed of making your own funnel cakes without having to head to a carnival or fair, you’re in luck! This funnel cake recipe will make all your dreams come true!
Funnel Cake Recipe
A wise person once said, “There are two types of people in this world: people who love fried food and people who won’t admit they love fried food.” I couldn’t agree more and I will openly admit, I love fried food!
I’ve always loved the idea of making hot funnel cakes for guests at a party, but the thought of hot oil splashing everywhere, making a huge disaster in front of my guests was a little intimidating. Until, I found this great recipe and finally got up the nerve to try it. They are so easy to make and absolutely delicious!
These funnel cakes would also be fun for a carnival-themed party! You could have a toppings station for guests filled with all their favorites like chocolate chips, strawberries, and of course – sprinkles for the little ones!
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups oil - for frying
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a deep skillet. Here's a hint to test the temperature of the oil. Simply drop a pinch of flour into the hot oil. If it sizzles right away (without smoking), then your oil temperature is perfect.
- Beat egg and milk. In a separate bowl, mix all of the other ingredients and slowly add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth.
- Using a funnel, drop the batter into the hot oil, working from the center outwards, create a spiral and then a web-like pattern on top of it. TIP: Use a plastic ketchup bottle. Or you could use a gallon bag and cut the corner off.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar and serve hot!
I hope you’ll try out this funnel cake recipe! Let me know what you think!