Grilled Steak Cobb Salad
This post is a collaboration with Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner. on behalf of the Beef Checkoff. I received compensation, but all opinions are my own. Enjoy this delicious, easy and flavorful Grilled Steak Cobb Salad! All the classic Cobb Salad favorites plus sizzling, grilled steak and a red wine Dijon vinaigrette dressing!
When the weather is warm, there is nothing better than the sounds and smells of sizzling steak on the grill, am I right? There is simply not much better than a delicious meal that can be pulled together without ever turning on the oven – especially in the summer!
Topping it with steak takes it from a ho-hum boring salad into a delicious entree that’s not only filling but will have you making it over and over! Trust me! It’s SO good!
My family loves Cobb Salads and we’ve recently been enjoying them topped with grilled New York Strip Steak – we all know steak reigns supreme for grilling season – and I have been so excited to show you just how easy this salad is to make!
FUN FACT: Did you know that according to a consumer survey, consumers say that they are most likely to grill during these holidays:
- 69% – July 4th
- 60% – Labor Day
Summer grilling season it is! If you’re hosting friends for the 4th of July or just looking for a hearty salad to make, this Steak Cobb Salad will be your new favorite. Don’t forget the red wine Dijon vinaigrette dressing, it’s absolutely delicious!
Tips for Grilled Steak for Salads
My favorite steak cut for this salad is the Beef Strip Steak, often called a New York Strip Steak. It’s tender and full of flavor, so it’s perfect for enjoying on a salad.
Season It Up
I love a simple rub on a steak and this one uses a couple herbs from my garden. I chose thyme and chives, chopped and then combined with garlic, salt and pepper. I highly encourage you to try different herbs and seasonings for unique flavor combinations!
Grill at Medium Heat
When it comes to actually grilling your steak, medium and steady wins the race. So grab a cocktail (might I suggest my Bay Breeze) and enjoy the sizzling sounds and smells!
Grilling your steak at a medium heat will allow the Beef to achieve caramelization while still developing those rich flavors we love and avoiding charring.
Check your Internal Temperature
Invest in a good-quality meat thermometer and always check your beef’s internal temperature for doneness.
- For medium-rare the temperature should read 145°F
- The temperature for medium steaks should read 160°F
- The temperature for well-done steaks should read 170°F.
Let it Rest!
When you remove your steak from the grill, be sure to let it rest for 5 minutes to lock in those flavorful juices. I know it’s tempting to dive right in, but let it rest!
Why is it called a Cobb Salad?
Have you always wondered why they’re called Cobb Salads? Turns out they’re named after a Hollywood, CA restaurant owner named Robert Howard Cobb after he tossed a lot of leftover ingredients together in a French dressing – and now we call it the Cobb Salad!
Let me tell you, adding steak to this salad kicks it up a million notches. You could serve this steak cobb at a dinner party, but it’s easy enough to pull together in almost half an hour for a busy weeknight dinner.
We’ve been running around like crazy this summer (hello summer camps) so having a delicious and easy dinner to pull together (and with STEAK, hello) in 30 minutes is dynamite!
Now back to building this beauty…
Building your Cobb Salad
Let’s talk about building this delicious entree salad. Especially if you’re hosting company and want to serve up a beautiful salad, here are my tips.
It’s all about the layers. You can toss it all together or my personal preference, a beautiful, layered salad platter. This allows your dinner guests to serve themselves from their favorite Cobb Salad ingredients.
So, start by layering the lettuces (I love a blend of romaine and artisanal blend lettuce) and top with rows of all the delicious Cobb Salad toppings!
- Grilled Steak
- Sautéed or Grilled Corn
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chives or Green Onions
- Red Onion
The dressing is super simple to make, I love to drizzle it over all kinds of salads. It’s also made with just a few pantry staples: red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt!
Grilled Steak Cobb Salad
Steak & Seasoning:
- 1 pound Beef Strip Steak - (1" thick), aka New York Strip Steak
- 2 tablespoons thyme - chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives - chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
For Cobb Salad:
- 8 cups lettuce - romaine or artisan blend, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- 4 hard-boiled eggs - quartered
- 1 cup corn - sautéed or grilled
- 1 large avocado - sliced
- ½ red onion - thinly sliced
- 4 ounces blue cheese - crumbled (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives - chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove - chopped
- salt - to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together the thyme, chives, black pepper, salt and garlic. Spread it on to each side of the steak, pressing evenly onto both sides.
- Preheat grill to medium heat and place steaks onto grill. Turning occasionally, grill steaks for 7 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, 9 to 12 minutes for medium, or 12 to 15 minutes for medium- well. Check internal temperature with meat thermometer to determine doneness.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board, allow to rest 5 minutes and carve into slices.
- Arrange lettuce onto platter. Top with steak slices, tomatoes, eggs, corn, avocado, onion, and blue cheese. Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and chives.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad.
For more Beef recipes and inspiration, visit www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com!
Enjoy this Grilled Steak Cobb Salad for your next dinner party or quick, weeknight family meal!
Pizzazzerie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that pizzazzerie.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Courtney’s Latest book
Get Your Copy!
In The Southern Entertainer’s Cookbook, Courtney Whitmore shares her party go-tos, over 75 delicious crowd-pleasing recipes. Featured as a must-have cookbook in Southern Living Magazine.
This steak cobb salad is out of this world delicious and full of flavor! My family was all over this and are begging me to make this again. Such a great and lovely twist on cobb salad!
So many lovely flavors and textures. Our whole family loved these salads.
I love cobb salad! The steak made it even more delicious!